ransome reelcutter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Hi
I have just got a 70's 30inch reelcutter but it does not cut. It was in bits,mainly belts needing put back on and a replaced engine with a Honda .
Does anyone have any experience with these ?
It looks like this one http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7979
Do I sharpen the reel and the bottom bar ?

Thanks for any info

WB

The reel is supposed to be set so it very lightly touches the bar which then sharpens the reel blade.
Dont try cutting rough or very thick grass with it though as they are not made to do this.

Yes, how do you intend sharpening it, you can back lap or take the cylinder off and get it on a lathe. I have sharpened a cylinder mower with a strip of emery cloth placed on the bar and held securely and lower the blade down until it just touches the emery, turn the blade until the grinding sound lessens and lower the blade again, keep doing this until the whole blade cutting edges has ground markings on them, remove the emery and lower blade to the correct setting. Test your blade with a piece of paper along the whole length of the blade.

The one I have is ment for more demanding work from what I have read from oldlawnmowers.co.UK
Thanks for the advice on how to sharpen it up.

WB

I saw a cylinder on a lathe at a mower dealers a good few years ago. Don't what they did to it? I guess it would depend on its condition.

What grit emery should I use? The bottom bar and reel have not been used in a long while by the looks of things.

Latest posts

Back