Question for local assoc members only please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And emails are always bcc except the committee.

I know this probably isn't the place to raise this but as I understand the situation bcc is not permitted without consent from individuals.

We have just dealt with the business of freely giving out member details at recent committee meetings by looking into relevant sections of the Data Protection Act (membership list distributed to committee as a file and previously to members as a paper copy).
This year NO list was given to members until the membership form is updated prior to 2013 renewals. We found ourselves in the situation where the then acting RBI was asking the then SBI (member of our association and then also a committee member) for a copy of the membership list so he could add the non-signees to Beebase. The answer was correctly a no. However if members want to meet other locals etc something can be put simply in the newsletter.

The new membership form will opt the membership into a circulation list for members, to Beebase and something else that escapes me at this unearthly hour.

Another nearby association refuses a list as they are convinced it provides a cheap route for hive thieves. We find that only c10% of our members give their apiary whereabouts on membership forms (which is understandable perhaps but renders the role of our spray co-ordinator a bit pointless).

And emails are always bcc except the committee.
I can't help thinking that using the data protection laws as a reason for withholding contact details of membership especially from RBI/SBIs, who after all have a statutory duty to inspect all colonies ,can only hasten the introduction of mandatory registration of all beekeepers/colonies . and movements there of as is the case with other live stock classified as being in the 'Food' chain ??
VM

No. Only have access to officers details. I believe the DPA has a special section relating to 'mailing list and members info' which is less restrictive than many think?

No. Only have access to officers details. I believe the DPA has a special section relating to 'mailing list and members info' which is less restrictive than many think?

I would be interested to see a reference which says that. The quote below is directly from a site dealing with the legality of disclosing email addresses.

Even if these criteria are met, (the DPA criteria) however, it does not entitle the data controller to disclose an individual's email address to third parties without their consent.

No, we think it is a breach of Data Protection Act, but a condition of membership is that you agree for your details to be disclosed to the National Bee Unit. ( We had a problem with disclosing info to NBU previously as we did not explicitly tell members that we would do this - now it is clearly on the membership form)

No. Only relevant committee members/officers have access to records.

I can't help thinking that using the data protection laws as a reason for withholding contact details of membership especially from RBI/SBIs, who after all have a statutory duty to inspect all colonies ,can only hasten the introduction of mandatory registration of all beekeepers/colonies . and movements there of as is the case with other live stock classified as being in the 'Food' chain ??
VM

Good point John:iagree:

VM

I clearly wrote that this was the SBI (as a committee member) witholding from the RBI.....one reason we are rewriting the membership form to permit disclosure to the NBU (wot I missed out)/FERA/Bee Inspectors/BKA membership as well as the BBKA. Handing over membership lists to Beebase to register individuals without their say so isn't on. Changing the membership form to say you will....sorted.

I know this probably isn't the place to raise this but as I understand the situation bcc is not permitted without consent from individuals.

Which is how almost every membership list works - in our case football, cricket, canoe club, DofE etc etc.

If you were to be right we'd have to send newsletters individually to 200 members monthly plus several news-type emails? Bcc hides addresses from everyone else which is the accepted route.

Is that the right way round? An email distribution list added to CC (carbon copy - from the old typewriters) will leave all the email addresses visible. That is fine for a handful of addressees who know each other well. Circulation to wider groups should use bcc (blind carbon copy) so only the sender sees the full list. That should be the normal mode for official communications by local associations or any other group. Consent to official contact from the group is implied by membership, including by email if you provide an address. There is not usually consent implied to reveal member details to third parties such as FERA. Whether your details should be included in a directory for all members is debateable. It may be the custom of the association, but it should be possible to omit your details if requested.

The DPA 'consent' requirement would normally be covered by wording on the membership form such as: It is a requirement of membership that the association will pass members details to the BBKA as part of affiliation. The association will also pass on member details to to FERA to help with national disease monitoring unless you tick this box [ ]. The association will also circulate a directory of members home addresses and telephone numbers to all members. Tick this box if you do not want to be included in the directory [ ].

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/consent.aspx says that consent does not have to be a tick box, but it is an acceptable method.

I clearly wrote that this was the SBI (as a committee member) witholding from the RBI.....one reason we are rewriting the membership form to permit disclosure to the NBU (wot I missed out)/FERA/Bee Inspectors/BKA membership as well as the BBKA. Handing over membership lists to Beebase to register individuals without their say so isn't on. Changing the membership form to say you will....sorted.
Not being confrontational :) just making a point :cheers2:
VM

I've never looked for one but everybody's contact details are on the emails we get.
Kendal and South Westmorland BKA

Lincolnshire member so its a resounding yes from me. However, there is a stipulation that you destroy last years on receipt of the new one.

Email addresses are easily hidden by way of using mail lists in the email programs. Unfortunatly, they dont show you how to do it simply.

Baggy

Chesterfield and district is a no, I have the club officers contact details and the membership sec will put me in touch with someone if I ask and they authorise it.

Yes for plymouth we are part of devon (so i am told) and we are in the devon yearbook.

came in handy for a new (or at lest newer than me) beekeeper who needed help quickly and she saw i was in the same area so i was able to help.

Well, a huge thank you to all who responded. Have printed off (anonomously) all comments and will take along tonight, also done a yes/no/email only list, time is always tight.

Thanks again:.) Di:.)

Latest posts

Back