Question about Wasp Nests

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucks_Boy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Question for those of you knowledgable about wasp habits...

I have a Top Bar that was vacant last year ( 2 swarms have been hived into it and both left within 24 hours) and left as a "bait hive" -- in August I found a Wasp nest in it just bigger than a cricket ball which was suitably dispatched.

Opening it up this weekend (thinking of either getting rid of it or else "baiting") I found 2 small nests being built.

The question is : Do Wasps leave pheromones that prevent this box being usable for bees ? Do I now own a hollow table ?

thanks in advance for any advice..

There will be no problem to use it for bees.

Actually, many people when they unify swarm for bee families (in the case of queen loose,etc), they add a juice of lemon and onion, or even perfume... and that's a strogger smell then the wasp "pheromones".

Even if there will be a smell from the wasp queen , the bees will get familiar with that smell. Beekeepers sometimes keep the bees separated by a special frame, so they will exchange the same smell...so they won't fight each other in the case they will unify them. And they don't.

I hope this helps

Latest posts

Back