Question about uniting colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hive A
6 Brood frames (with Queen)

Hive B
Full Brood box of stores
Half a super
(No eggs, Brood or Queen in colony)

So..........

Put Hive B on the top of Hive A - with newspaper/Queen excluder in between.

There shouldn’t be any issues with the larger colony being on top, should there?

Last edited:
Next year is my 50th in the bees. Just trying to say that I've united countless numbers of colonies in that time.
I've come to the conclusion that the bees know best.
How do the bees set up their hive for the coming winter. The weight is on top.
Now, two or more colonies are to be united. One is weak, light, maybe even queenless. The other is queen-right and heavier.
Would the bees set up their hive with the empty combs on top? Why?
I always place the weak colony on a BB on the stronger colony's stand, and the stronger, heavier colony on top. Doesn't matter if they're both Q+...I never look...just get the heaviest on top.
You can use newspaper if you must. I never do at this time of year. I douse the bottom colony with 2:1 syrup. Then the bees in the bottom of the top colony...tip it back a bit.
Put them together. Then douse the top of the top cluster. Never so much syrup that it runs out the bottom entrance.
I often find that both queens survive.
And the hive is set up more in tune with what the bees would do.

In these circumstances I don't really see what colony A is gaining from B other than some probably older autumn mouths to feed. If it the stores you want to give them why not just shake B out and drop the stores on. I unite before flows but don't really bother for winter as I don't think a strong colony united with a weak one is any better in the spring than a strong colony left alone. Interested to hear if others think it gives them an advantage.

Next year is my 50th in the bees. Just trying to say that I've united countless numbers of colonies in that time.
I've come to the conclusion that the bees know best.
How do the bees set up their hive for the coming winter. The weight is on top.
Now, two or more colonies are to be united. One is weak, light, maybe even queenless. The other is queen-right and heavier.
Would the bees set up their hive with the empty combs on top? Why?
I always place the weak colony on a BB on the stronger colony's stand, and the stronger, heavier colony on top. Doesn't matter if they're both Q+...I never look...just get the heaviest on top.
You can use newspaper if you must. I never do at this time of year. I douse the bottom colony with 2:1 syrup. Then the bees in the bottom of the top colony...tip it back a bit.
Put them together. Then douse the top of the top cluster. Never so much syrup that it runs out the bottom entrance.
I often find that both queens survive.
And the hive is set up more in tune with what the bees would do.
A hive with two Queens - how is that left to resolve itself?

In these circumstances I don't really see what colony A is gaining from B other than some probably older autumn mouths to feed. If it the stores you want to give them why not just shake B out and drop the stores on. I unite before flows but don't really bother for winter as I don't think a strong colony united with a weak one is any better in the spring than a strong colony left alone. Interested to hear if others think it gives them an advantage.
True and I understand and agree. But what of the two Q+ colonies, each with brood, but neither will make the winter. That's mostly what I'm talking about. If a colony is too far gone, I agree...shake it out.

True and I understand and agree. But what of the two Q+ colonies, each with brood, but neither will make the winter. That's mostly what I'm talking about. If a colony is too far gone, I agree...shake it out.
I can see the benefit in those circumstances, the brood is the asset and by combining that it will likely improve winter performance/survivability. But I don't see what the OP is really gaining by uniting their B (broodless) colony, I guess it could be argued that the stores are the benefit but there are far easier ways to dish those out.

Just a question, is it possible that at this time of year many of the bees in the broodless hive are already winter bees? So would those not add some extra bodies to the other hive and be of value?

Latest posts

Back