Question about feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know this is probably a silly question, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway. I just bought one of those feeders that fits square into the top of hive - some suppliers call it the "English Feeder". I'd like to try using it as I can supply a much larger quantity in one go than the smaller round "rapid feeder". But I'm just visualising putting it in there this afternoon, and I'm wondering - should I put it on top of the crownboard? Or do I even need a crownboard between it and the brood box?

If its the thing I think it might be, it does not have legs to provide beespace underneath, and, while it fits within a super, it doesn't try to seal round the sides.
Thus the standard way of using it is on a feeder board (a 'crown board' with holes).
Check that the feed hole lines up with the feeder!
To minimise bee-squashing, its probably best to put it on the board, then put the board on the hive and lastly, fill with syrup and close up.

Last edited:
does it fit into a super or would you need the feeder eke?

Looking at the English Feeder on T'orne's website, it looks like a sort of square rapid feeder, thus, it would go over the hole in the feeder board like a rapid feeder?

It will need to sit inside a super.

Better if it's in the price range to buy a full size top feeder, the Ashforth for instance.

Easy enough to make too.

PH

Looking at the English Feeder on T'orne's website, it looks like a sort of square rapid feeder...

That's exactly what that one is.
The hole is exactly in the centre, which isn't always the case with the holes in cover boards!
It is a pretty cheap option, £7.50 in T's sale - £10 normally.

Last edited:
That's exactly the one, ITMA. Thanks for your advice on minimising bee-squashing. Off to do the deed now :)

I use those feeders and it just sits on the crown board over the feeder hole, inside the empty super and they work well.

has anyone made an ashford / miller type feeder that drops into a super?

No and for this reason. Why make it smaller if you are planning on feeding properly, ie heavily then you want a feeder to take a decent amount so you make it full size.

PH

P.ynes advertise a poly national feeder, which also has insulating properties. Has anyone tried this? Pros and cons?

They say it fits in their wooden nationals. Are theirs any different to what may be found elsewhere?

P.ynes advertise a poly national feeder, which also has insulating properties. Has anyone tried this? Pros and cons?

They say it fits in their wooden nationals. Are theirs any different to what may be found elsewhere?

AFAIK, the Pains poly Nat feeder can potentially be used above wooden hive parts but not under a wooden roof.
Indeed, lacking a cover, and relying on the underside shape of the Pains poly roof, I think it could only work together with that specific roof.
I've seen one, but not in use. I decided not to buy.

The CWynneJones poly Nat feeder should be fully interoperable with wooden hives and roofs - retaining British Standard exterior dimensions.
IIRC, after a declaration of interest, ITLD has written of using them as year-round insulation.

I have 6 of the Pains, and 5 are currently in use. The first time they have been deployed because of when they were released. We will know how they perform in the next month.

The feeder ITLD mentions is a different beast. It fits the Swienty poly so is 460mm square and is very useful too for fondant as it can be just turned upside down to do that job.

It works on the baffle system so is a type of Ashforth style.

PH

The feeder ITLD mentions is a different beast. It fits the Swienty poly so is 460mm square and is very useful too for fondant as it can be just turned upside down to do that job.

It works on the baffle system so is a type of Ashforth style.

PH

Is that the swienty ashforth style feeder (did see it at his co apiary), if so didnt realise you could turn it upside down for fondant. Am I right in thinking you then place fondant on top bars then turn the feeder upside down. As its used in winter im assuming brace comb shouldnt be built? I've not used the feeders for anything yet as the bees seem to like the 2.5l bucket contact feeders.

Pros - insulated, plenty of space, fits well with a paines poly. Will fit directly on top of standard wooden box or QE as well.

Cons - needs painting, internally ideally with sand or similar for grip. Unmodified it needs a Paines poly roof, although chopping off the corners of the dividers would allow a super above it to handle a standard roof. Dividers are fixed so you cannot remove to give bees access to a nearly empty tray.

It suits me, but I would think it more trouble than its worth without a matching roof.

Unmodified it needs a Paines poly roof, although chopping off the corners of the dividers would allow a super above it to handle a standard roof. Dividers are fixed so you cannot remove to give bees access to a nearly empty tray.

Should add that by cutting off the edges of the divider as per above you are opening up the possibility of the bees having free range of the reservoir.

Back