queenless hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Due to many reasons out of my control I've had a very irratic beekeeping year and am left with one lovely hive and one queenless. The last chance I had to look at the queenless hive about the end of July there was no new brood,lava or eggs but on one frame 3 torn down queen cells. Had a look today and there seem to be quite a few bees but no sign of brood etc. The last time there was definately a queen was 3rd July, should I unite this hive with my good one?

There's torn down and torn down. If you see a nice round exit hole then the chances are the virgin exited safely and the cell has been torn down subsequently. Test frame as above to make sure.

Definately not a nice round exit hole , thanks will try a test frame.

If the ovaries of potential laying workers have developed in the absence of queen and brood pheromones then the colony may well not build emergency queen cells on test comb.

Potential LWs means that their ovaries are developing but not yet laying. Also may not be much evidence if other workers eat the eggs of laying workers (especially if they come from a different Father). With mesh floors sometimes find disgarded eggs on the insert underneath it. The beekeeper may not have seen the eggs (You would be surprised how many beekeepers miss seeing eggs especially when they first appear)

Last edited:
Potential LWs means that their ovaries are developing but not yet laying. Also may not be much evidence if other workers eat the eggs of laying workers (especially if they come from a different Father). With mesh floors sometimes find disgarded eggs on the insert underneath it. The beekeeper may not have seen the eggs (You would be surprised how many beekeepers miss seeing eggs especially when they first appear)

My eyesight isn't great and the hive is shaded may well miss seeing eggs.

A bright pocket LED torch is invaluable for finding eggs on a dull day if your eyesight is not acute enough.

I put in a test frame and yesterday found a sealed queen cell, will this new queen have time to mate beforre winter?

I put in a test frame and yesterday found a sealed queen cell, will this new queen have time to mate beforre winter?

Just about time but now the decision is yours - either take down the QC and unite or chance the queen mating and nursing it through winter. All depends on your future plans really

Hi Whoosling,
You might be lucky. However, if she does not mate, then the downside is that you will have to find the new queen before you can unite. The decision is yours.

There's still people selling mated queens so buying one in could be an option ? In a week you could have a good laying queen on the go and a nice colony of winter bees by the time it arrives ... and a great start to next year from a colony that at present is potentially doomed (or at least ceases to exist in its present state).

There's still people selling mated queens so buying one in could be an option ? In a week you could have a good laying queen on the go and a nice colony of winter bees by the time it arrives ... and a great start to next year from a colony that at present is potentially doomed (or at least ceases to exist in its present state).

:iagree:

Just ordered one yesterday

Latest posts

Back