Queenless hive I have a choice of action, whats best.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
First inspection shows no brood at all.

I have a nuc ordered and should arrive soon. Plan 1 is to unite the nuc to the queenless hive.

Plan 2 is to give them some eggs and let them get on with it.

I'm just a little concerned that its too early for bees to rear their own queen and have mating flights.

Plan 3
If I could buy a laying queen from somewhere I would prefer this option. Anyone selling queens yet?

Whats best at this time of year?

Cliff

With 8 colonies you have plenty of options and the first should be a test frame at least.

Just a bit confused as with the 8 colonies you have a nuc on order.

Ok, Im Starting a second apiary a few miles away from where my bees are.

The explanation is-

Last year I did not get any honey, bad August and the bees ate the stores and also most of the hives swarmed!

I'm not keen to split as I want my bees to build strength and may be get a honey crop!!

I have ordered some Cornish black bees to give them a try. May be they will do better than my Buckfast bees.

I agree, this will be the last time I will buy nucs but I am doing it mainly for the speed of getting a colony started and may be give me some honey this year.

Cliff

Down to 7 as I lost a colony late last year. Also bear in mind last year was my first season so I am still finding my feet.

Here are 4 of them.

p1070267c.jpg

Last edited:
The original question was the best way to save the colony?

I'm relying on your opinion whether its too soon to add a test frame and let the bees get on with it.

Unite the nuc

or buy in a queen??

Novice cliff!!!

Cliff,

thanks for your reply = if you've still got 7 colonies you don't need to buy anything!

Get a copy of "Guide to bees and honey" by Ted Hooper from Amazon and learn about 'artificial swarms' = cheaper than buying a nuc!

richard

You need to add a test frame anyway,and no it's not to early to raise queens in the south.

We have had our first calls outs for swarms in London...so i guess the bees think the drones are ready...

Bloody hell, cliff!

what's going on with that hive bottom left - surely not a photo taken recently?

richard

Cliff,

thanks for your reply = if you've still got 7 colonies you don't need to buy anything!

Get a copy of "Guide to bees and honey" by Ted Hooper from Amazon and learn about 'artificial swarms' = cheaper than buying a nuc!

richard

Yes, I have Ted Hoopers book.

I will artificial swarm when the bees start building q cells.

I'm avoiding splitting hives as I am reluctant to thin the bees out. I am going to try and get honey this year!

Thanks

Cliff

Bloody hell, cliff!

what's going on with that hive bottom left - surely not a photo taken recently?

richard

No. It was taken end of last year.

I posted it here. I fed some syrup to a hive out of site and was puzzled why the neighbouring hives got excited and come out like this. The hive with the bees I had not touched, they just sensed I was feeding a near by hive.

Cliff

Check with the test frame then if Q- unite.

Always unite if poss as you can always take back a nuc later on.

PH

Cliff

Thanks for your replies to my queries.

You are on the right track = I'd suggest you just wait 'til they form Q cells and follow Ted's artificial swarm method.

I've done it .....if you move around the 'new' hive as he suggests, you'll keep re-stocking flying bees into the 'swarm' hive and shouldn't lose any honey crop.

Latest posts

Back