Queenless Colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Mr Halfbee,
Apologies for the late response to your previous (and welcome) advice on my Queenless colony.
Update:
I introduced the test frame and now have 11 capped QC’s. There is still a lot of Drones in and around both hives.
I’m guessing I now need to reduce the number of QC’s?
Eagerly await your counsel👨🏻‍🎓
You could reduce. It’s a pity you can’t find an open one with a larva you can see. Then you are sure The cell is ok.
Otherwise choose a nice dimpled fat cell in a well protected position
Then it’s up to the weather and fate if your new queen gets mated.
BUT. It’s getting late in the year, not particularly for mating but your queen to be won’t be laying for three weeks at the best and no new bees will be produced for another three after that. It could be potentially longer.
I woukd break down all the emergency cells and order a mated queen from a reputable supplier straight away. They are all available online and you could have a new queen by Tuesday if you get cracking.

You could reduce. It’s a pity you can’t find an open one with a larva you can see. Then you are sure The cell is ok.
BUT. It’s getting late in the year, not particularly for mating but your queen to be won’t be laying for three weeks at the best and no new bees will be produced for another three after that. It could be potentially longer.
I woukd break down all the emergency cells and order a mated queen from a reputable supplier straight away. They are all available online and you could have a new queen by Tuesday if you get cracking.
:iagree: you'd be much better off buying in a quen or just cutting your losses and uniting them with another colony

Right, so another new queen asap 🤦🏼‍♂️. Thank you for your help.

I’ll get rid of them this evening and if they form anymore, remove before introducing the new Queen.
Thanks again and I’ll keep you posted.

Attachments

• 961475DD-FDA1-4103-B0EC-6B90CCD5CE54.jpeg
    961475DD-FDA1-4103-B0EC-6B90CCD5CE54.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 383B55C0-2BF3-47B3-882E-E608AEF6EFDB.jpeg
    383B55C0-2BF3-47B3-882E-E608AEF6EFDB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Back