Queen trap swarm prevention

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't comment about Heather honey as not sure how thick it is, however I did harvest 3 seasons ago honey with water content of 14%. this took 9hrs to Flow out, the honey tasted like heaven. In order to save time I harvest the honey in honey buckets directly from the Flowhive using a food grade tube to connect this practically makes my harvest even much easier. Last year from my 8 colonies we harvested a total of 220 kgs half of the total honey collected by the bees and we left about a deep full of stores with the bees to go through the winter.

I have used the FlowHive successfully for the last 8 years now

Last edited:
I can't comment about Heather honey as not sure how thick it is, however I did harvest 3 seasons ago honey with water content of 14%. It took 9hrs to Flow out, the honey tasted like heaven. I harvest the honey in honey buckets directly from the Flowhive to bucket using a food grade tube to connect. This saves me time on the harvesting as it makes in practically automatic. Last year from my 8 colonies I harvested a total of 220 kgs half of the total honey collected by the bees as I had left about a deep full of stores with the bees to go through the winter.

I have used the FlowHive successfully for the last 8 years now
Thanks paras for the update

The queen trap system is used by Paradise in Finland to manage their colonies through the difficulties of swarming, they do have a lot of colonies to get through that requires a lot of hands on deck to deal with.

Also a lot of their colonies can be huge distances from home, I wouldn't describe it as a gimmick but a useful tool if used correctly.

This can also be used with extra screens like Bob Binnie uses his double screened boards to produce extra nucs, we also adapt them to be used as clearer boards.

The queen trap system is used by Paradise in Finland to manage their colonies through the difficulties of swarming, they do have a lot of colonies to get through that requires a lot of hands on deck to deal with.
I rather suspect paradise use them because they are on the hives they sell!!!
I don’t know of any serious commercial guys here that use them, or anything similar😉

Latest posts

Back