Queen staying beneath hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Tip Top

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I had a new queen emerge on the 11/7. I briefly checked on the day and closed up. The weather in Britain has fairly much been solid rain since then ( a few clear hours).
On Monday ( partially sunny day) I checked the hive - there were no eggs and the queen was in a small cluster of bees beneath the mesh floor (ie. Outside the hive). I have just noticed today ( partial sun again) that the cluster is still beneath the hive.
Is this part of the queens mating flight; or is there another reason for this please?
Any advice appreciated. I’m not a beginner but I am far from expert!
Thank you.

I had one do it and had to put her in 3 times. In the end I put a solid floor in and she’s stayed inside now.

I have some board blocking the space off under the hive stands to avoid this sort of problem with queens or a mass of workers. Open mesh floors seem to cause it as they think they are in contact with the colony so don't move!

I had the same problem last year with the queen returning from her mating flight and undershot and gathered a small crowd under the mesh floor but I brushed her and her entourage into a bucket and encouraged them back in and put a large bathroom tile propped up underneath the entrance and have not had any undershooting since.

Latest posts

Back