queen rearing nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertodemarco

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
has anyone got info on the queen rearing setup whereby there are two standard nuc's either side of a smaller nuc, joined by two lengthys of pipe with the queen cells in the smaller central box? & how does it all work plus any plans for this?

I think you might be talking about the John Harding method. There is a write up on the bibba website and also Dave Cushman's i think.

Did think about it once, but we don't need a great deal of queens at the moment so think it is pointless for us. There are pros and cons to it and i see no use for it at the moment. I'm not knocking it by the way, just haven't tried it.

Let us know how you get on with it if you do try it, i would like to know how it all goes.

an awful lot of word to get a few queen cells. learn how to graft and you will be able to graft 20 cells and have them back in the colony in less than 5 minutes

Our Association tried it last year. Abject failure. You apparently need LOTS of bees in both colonies...

Any queen rearing method requires lots of young bees.

The problem is how to define lots.

If you assume that lots means more than you think it means you are getting the right head on. :)

I frankly wouldn't bother with the Harding method as I think it over engineered and complex.

I nuc box full of young bees will start your grafts for you no bother and has the vast advantage of flexibility.

In the UK flexibility is extremely useful as it allows us to dodge the weather.

PH

Latest posts

Back