Queen rearing hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
Just completed a cell raising hive, based on an extended national. It has 17, 14x12 frames. It's is split into 6 & 11, the queen is confined to the 6 frames via a QE, there is no entrance on that section. Sealed brood is moved from the Q+ into the Q- section as it's laid up. The Q- section is used to start and finish QC's. Supers can be added to the Q- side if needed, however the plan is to use the beed in production hives.

Attachments

• IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 80
I'm surprised no one sell those, I'd buy one. :)

Just completed a cell raising hive, based on an extended national. It has 17, 14x12 frames. It's is split into 6 & 11, the queen is confined to the 6 frames via a QE, there is no entrance on that section. Sealed brood is moved from the Q+ into the Q- section as it's laid up. The Q- section is used to start and finish QC's. Supers can be added to the Q- side if needed, however the plan is to use the beed in production hives.

Looks good, well done.

Yes it is a vertical QE, I just hope my plan for next season works.

I guess if you move a newly laid frame over the QE it makes it easier to find nice young grubs for grafting?

I have two of these on the go, been using them for at least five years, the original idea is from a book by Gilles Vert, I have an English copy but originally it was French only, works very well, not my only system now though

Back