Queen rearing day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Looking forward to spending the day with Ged Marshall tomorrow on a queen rearing course / day at his place.

Hope you have a good day Pete, I am one of those people who are happy to think about something then just give it a go but a training day should give you plenty of tips and advice. Hope your eyesight is ok because spotting larvae of a few hours old takes a bit of fine tuning. But then he may show you techniques that simplifies the process.

Hope your eyesight is ok because spotting larvae of a few hours old takes a bit of fine tuning.

He's had a bit of practice with ChrisB at his place - so he should manage. Funnily enough since those far off days my eyes have got substantially worse, but I have less difficulty in spotting even the youngest larvae!

He's had a bit of practice with ChrisB at his place - so he should manage. Funnily enough since those far off days my eyes have got substantially worse, but I have less difficulty in spotting even the youngest larvae!

I came to the conclusion if you can see them then they are to old. I remember that thread with ChrisB it was a good one and worth a bump.

I must say I really did enjoy that week - good company, good bees - loads of things learnt (one being to ensure smoker is out before packing into vehicle and embarking on a motorway journey!)

It was a good week, plenty of learnings and I was able to handle as many bees and colonies in a week as I would of in a year if they were just mine.

Taking the combs indoors, sitting at a table with good light and my glasses on done the trick whilst at Chris's. Bit different when out in the field but then you are not being so precise in normal day to day manipulations / inspections.

Will be an interesting and informative day I'm sure. Also managed to bag him to give a talk at our AGM next February.

Latest posts

Back