Queen on the ground ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitzTaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
So here is the story...

Yesterday afternoon we went through the hive ( 5 frames, 3.5 full of larvae, stores, and some eggs, 1.5 full of stores ). No QC found, Q was found and seemed quite content snooping around empty cells, And to top it all off they had started drawing out a frame of foundation, which is not far from being completed.

Felling quite good with ourselves we closed up and went inside. As this was my 1st night off work and the weather being great it was time to open a tin or two :sifone:.

Teatime came and went, and a sit out in the garden in the late evening was in order.

It was at this time we found the queen about 2 metres ( six foot ) from the side of the hive, on the ground, not moving much, and on her own :eek:.

We gathered her up into a butler cage, opened the hive again, and replaced the wayward queen back into the hive.

She was greeted with glee and was accept with no problems, and quickly disappered between the frames.

Now has anyone else encounted this before. Have any ideas as to what has, or is about to happen.

This happened to me some weeks back and my only explanation for this was that i had not been careful and managed to knock the queen of the frame. A friend spotted her on the ground under the hive with a few attendants around her. I imagine this is what may have happened with you. Taught me a valuable lesson. Popped her back and things have been fine.

and did you both notice the roar before you re-introduced her back into the hive and the immediate calm post intro?

No we did hear anything all was calm but it was late in the evening and the light was a bit low.

Latest posts

Back