Queen marking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Bee 2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Apologies in advance if this has been asked before - but I was wondering what the alternatives are for queen marking. I currently use the std pens from Th**nes which are ok but seem to wear off in a couple of months. I'd rather only have to mark once and so I wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Thank you!

are ok but seem to wear off in a couple of months.

OK? Are you sure? Seems about next to useless to me.

I use tippex if I mark. Yellow, so I can see her easily.

Tippex only, not the cheap correction fluid you can buy as that tends to come off as well

If tippex is OK why has the bottle got a skull and cross bones on it?

why has the bottle got a skull and cross bones on it?

Is it a human skeletal marking or does it have a bees head and crossed antennae?

We apparently can tolerate some things that bees can't and vice versa. Examples that come to mind are HMF and neonicotinoids.

Probably there is a skull and crossbones on most paint cans.

Is it a human skeletal marking or does it have a bees head and crossed antennae?

:smilielol5:

I can vouch for the durability of the marks produced by "Uni Paint Markers - PX20" by Mitsubishi Pencils - they were recommended to me last year and work a lot better than their water based Uni Posco counterparts. I would suggest allowing the paint to dry before releasing the queens after marking as there is a bit of a smell from the marking paint but so far (touch wood) I don't seem to have had any queens balled or superceded after marking them with these pens. I only use white to mark my Queens and rely on written records and marks on the hives for the queen age.

Thanks for the great suggestions - I'll give them all a go and see what works best :nature-smiley-005:

I use the 'nail polish' type jars which thor*ns do they seem ok. i was worryed i mite squish her with a pen so went with the brush type applicator.

You do have to wait until fairly dry though i relased one to fast and she spread the colour over wings and head from the netting on the crown of thorns. She seems ok a few month later and i can find her really easly now but there is a bit of shame when i do see her coverd in yellow

We use water based paint and a thin brush, it's quite cheap and works pretty well.

Latest posts

Back