Queen Marking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueDrone

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This may be a stupid question but when does the be year start as in regarding year marking. ie horses all b'day 1st Jan, school year Sept ... All Queen bees?

This June July Queens Marked Yellow ?

Justr wondering that as next spring will be there first full season wether they should be marked next years colour.

KISS. This year means emerged this year. If you can get queens emerging in January and mating in the UK you will have cracked it!

Norton, on the other hand, is likely to be using the same colour but have one h*ll of a head start on UK queen producers.

RAB

Justr wondering that as next spring will be there first full season wether they should be marked next years colour.

White for this year, yellow next. Or white this, unmarked next if they quietly supercede when you're not looking in late Autumn...

This may be a stupid question but when does the be year start as in regarding year marking. ie horses all b'day 1st Jan, school year Sept ... All Queen bees?

I can give you a handy tip when you do start marking.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS Test the marker pen on your glove before attempting to mark the queen. On occasion the marking pen can gush with liquid covering the queen. Also practice on a few drones.

If you ever visit Nottingham from wet Wales you are welcome to visit and we can have a go on some Drones or an unmarked Queen if I have one.

I took this from the www.

Year Colour Code for a Marked Queen Bee

0 and 5 White
1 and 6 Yellow
2 and 7 Red
3 and 8 Green
4 and 9 Blue

Have I been miss informed?

I have marked my queen for a few year but always green but have decided it is time to start and do it the official way so have had the experiance of the leaking pen

Thanks for invite to Nottingham

Blue has been poor this year.
Goes dark after a few weeks and makes it more difficult to find her maj.
Won't use it again. Probably stick to white in future.

0 and 5 White
1 and 6 Yellow
2 and 7 Red
3 and 8 Green
4 and 9 Blue

Yes you've started at 0 instead of 1.
This year is white - it ends in a 1.
Will You Raise Good Bees
1 2 3 4 0

Yes you've started at 0 instead of 1.
This year is white - it ends in a 1.
Will You Raise Good Bees
1 2 3 4 0

1 and 6 White
2 and 7 Yellow
3 and 8 Red
4 and 9 Green
5 and 0 Blue

0 and 5 White
1 and 6 Yellow
2 and 7 Red
3 and 8 Green
4 and 9 Blue

I have marked my queen for a few year but always green but have decided it is time to start and do it the official way so have had the experiance of the leaking pen

Thanks for invite to Nottingham
Why
You
Raise
Good
Bees

Simples VM

Latest posts

Back