Queen Marking Cage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
I need to buy a queen marking cage.
Which is the best one, the plunger type or the press on one?
I think the press on one looks easier to use ??

My sons got some water based modelling paint. Is this safe to use, I guess it is seeing as some beeks use tippex

I find the push in cage better as it allows the worker bees to get out of it. With the plunger I have the holes in the caged end dont allow the worker bees out.

thats what I thought, with the push in one you dont have to pick the queen up

Just be care full not to spear the queen.

I have, rather hesitantly, marked only the one queen but on my course last year I practiced on lots of drones. I hated the "crown of thorns" as I caught other bees with the drones and I was frightened of squashing the bee I was trying to mark. I used the plunger type as I found it easy to just scoop the queen up and it seemed quite gentle to restrain her against the sponge rather than squashing her against the comb. Also she sat quietly while the paint dried before I eased her into a frame.

With the plunger type you first of all need to catch the queen; you can use your hand or a pluffer thing. I much prefer the crown of thorns type as there is no need to remove the queen from the comb.

I need to buy a queen marking cage.
Which is the best one, the plunger type or the press on one?
I think the press on one looks easier to use ??

My sons got some water based modelling paint. Is this safe to use, I guess it is seeing as some beeks use tippex

I personally prefer to take the queen away a few yards and carefully mark her using a plunger. Having to mark on the comb is pretty stresful if you have a 100 bees buzzing around you.

Tipex? a queen marking paint pen is about the same price and easier to use.

Buy both? Use both as each has advantages. Big tip! Dont put the spiky one in your pocket and lean up against something!! Once done you will learn to fit a guard of spike protectors (piece of polystyrene will do).

Also if you are buying from u know who, check out the plastic pipe with the two entrances. This greatly simplifies the task of isolating queenie from amongst the masses without potentially damaging her. You can then keep her in the pipe, return the frame, and then transfer her to the plunger marker cage. Far more control IMHO

Regards

FB

Last edited:
Big tip! Dont put the spiky one in your pocket and lean up against something!! Once done you will learn to fit a guard of spike protectors (piece of polystyrene will do).
FB

I thought only I would be that stupid!

I prefer the crown as you can work on the comb, less chance of adding my scent to queenie and better control of the pen on a flat surface. ( Not being phased by 100's of buzzing bees helps.)

Cazza

With the plunger you can clip as well as mark.

Just bring HM to the top and twist a little and a wing will pop through the cloth allowing you to snip..

Blob of paint,allow to dry for a minute then give her a puff of smoke,smoke a frame that has open brood on it and pop her back in.

Dont put her on an outer frame that has stores as they will ball her because she is not supposed to be there..

Thank you Admin - it's the 'little' things like that that are really useful, that I don't know I don't know until it's too late. These tips (and C of T in pocket) that aren't always in the books are invaluable.

The best crown of thorns is from T****** as it is made of wood and wire. They were out of stock when I first wanted one and I had to settle for a totally plastic one which is not nearly so flexible

The Crown of thorns really should be off the market, it is lethal to bees and queens for the heavier handed or the suddenly soft comb... oops I bisected my queen....

PH

Marked my first two Queens on Saturday - one was a re-marking job as the bees had partially groomed off the mark over the winter. Crown of Thorns was successfully employed and will be used again until I have a little more confidence and experience in picking up Queens.

Just been out with my lethal weapon and marked a queen. It isn't rocket science. You just need to take care. I was able to lean the frame on the hive once she was trapped and gently dot her. No harm done........(gulp.)
Cazza

I may have a go with a plunger this weekend as a clipping could be on the cards. Can she normally just be coralled into walking up the tube or will I have to brave and pick up?

Having to pick her up now :redface:- (stood on my crown of thorns- and fortunately had artery forceps in my bee box to extract pins from my boot!!)

Just be aware of other bees coming on to her if you pick her up- I lost one Q by being stung whilst in my hands.-maybe gently move away from the hive and -keeping hands over an upturned roof or such other base mark her- wait 2 minutes for the paint to dry then pop her back amongst brood frames (as PH said)

Please do not forget to puff some smoke over her and also into the BB before popping her back in, it helps to mask the smell of the paint, nothing worse than seeing your bonny marked queen promptly balled and suffocated.

PH

Latest posts

Back