Queen-less and refusing to accept!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not my experience
I've had no problems with fighting either so far tutch wood..
Either with introducing virgins or making colonys queenless then introducing a queen or making nucs up,
Im yet to introduce a queen to a laying worker colony so I can't comment on that.

I've had no problems with fighting either so far tutch wood..
Either with introducing virgins or making colonys queenless then introducing a queen or making nucs up,
Im yet to introduce a queen to a laying worker colony so I can't comment on that.
The trick with that is to introduce her to a frame of donated emerging brood under a push in cage. Some people shake the bees out first. Not that laying workers can’t fly, we know they do, but to disorientate the bees temporarily and let them fly back to a box with a queen already in it. Like you, I’ve never tried it.

When introducing a queen in a cage, never keep the accompanying bees in with her. There will be a fight. They may have accepted her if she was on her own in the cage.
Never been my experience, Always leave the workers in with her

I recently did a paper unit of a nice large nuc after I killed the queen( too defensive ) I did this text book but a week later found a large pile of dead bees dumped outside the front door including the new queen I guess. The only mistake I think I may have made was to leave the dead queen laying about after I killing her. I dropped after squashing and couldn’t find her but found a ball of bees on her days later. I had suitably decimated her but I reckon they could still smell her around on this occasion and didn’t want the new queen.

This is not my experience
Agree, i never take out the workers from a travel cage, removing them comes from that with imported queens you used to have to send the workers to MAFF for testing, leaving them in means you get more queen pheromone out to the new colony quicker. i also alway put the travel cage in within 30mins of removing the old queen, but thats for quickness, Buckfast into Black bees i do via the new queen in lay in an apidea then combine with apidea over newspaper,

Have a nuc that is queenless. Introduced a new queen into it on Sunday. Wednesday when I checked and surprise surprise the queen and attendants were dead in the cage.
How do you know? If you removed a queen, then fair enough. Otherwise there could easily be a scrub queen/dlq in the box which is why the intrduced queen was killed.

How do you know? If you removed a queen, then fair enough. Otherwise there could easily be a scrub queen/dlq in the box which is why the intrduced queen was killed.
Today I checked an apedia for a queen I introduced in a cage with only 1 worker on Saturday. 3 days later I go in for a look and the queen is dead but the worker is not. I did remove the queen from this apedia a few weeks ago and there was not a new queen or a laying worker. Any one like to try and explain?

Was it a mated and laying queen or a virgin? (I suspect an apedia is for a virgin queen, but not sure).

How old was the queen when put in the apedia?

Last edited:
Was it a mated and laying queen or a virgin? (I suspect an apedia is for a virgin queen, but not sure).

How old was the queen when put in the apedia?
She was mated. Not sure on age I want a new queen in a hive so put the old queen their in the hope she’d lay an egg in a queen cup.

Latest posts

Back