Queen-less and refusing to accept!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have a nuc that is queenless. Introduced a new queen into it on Sunday. Wednesday when I checked and surprise surprise the queen and attendants were dead in the cage. Why would a queen less colony kill off a new queen? Don’t make sense to me. Might be a laying worker but she ain’t laying much. Went through the nuc today and saw 1 egg and about 6 larvae. Any suggestions? Although now I will unite that nuc.

Are you certain it's queenless and not just a brood break; did you try a test frame?

Three days isn't enough time to introduce a queen either. Given the time frame I assume you used the travel cage and released the tab on initial placement?

Angry_Mob;716897 said:
Are you certain it's queenless and not just a brood break; did you try a test frame?

Three days isn't enough time to introduce a queen either. Given the time frame I assume you used the travel cage and released the tab on initial placement?

The queen was reared in an apedia and after weeks being in their she was transferred in a queen introduction cage. Have not tried a test frame and doubt I’ll bother now. 3 days after I introduced her I found her dead. Maybe after 3 days dead she’ll resurrect?

Happened to me a few years ago. Tried a new queen, they killed it. Tried a test frame, they drew a new queen then killed it. In the end I just waited until they were looking despondent and united them with another colony without incident. Who knows what they were thinking.

I’d just either shake them out or unite with a stronger Q+ colony. Some colonies with old bees are a nightmare to get a Q introduced into.

They may have a small unmated/dodgy queen in there which for whatever stupid reason, they want to hang on to.
Shakeout is always the safer option

Last edited:
Have another good look for a queen in there. Sounds like there is possibly a badly mated or declining one. If there is a queen and you shake them out then they will cluster together on the hive stand, then swarm off somewhere, possibly somewhere you don't want them to.

Have another good look for a queen in there. Sounds like there is possibly a badly mated or declining one. If there is a queen and you shake them out then they will cluster together on the hive stand, then swarm off somewhere, possibly somewhere you don't want them to.
To be frank - I've never had that happen and there's seldom a season when I don't shake out a few nucs and failed colonies., shake out a few yards away, most of the bees will eventually find their way into other hives, if there is a queen there, you may find a small (and I mean a few dozen bees) cluster with the queen

How long would it take to see a queen cell on a test frame? What's the consensus?

How long would it take to see a queen cell on a test frame? What's the consensus?

Could be more than one test frame required, so putting a time on it is not sensible.

I’m planning to shake out that hive a good bit away, then after a few days maybe a week unite them with a queen right hive that has a mated queen from this year. What’s your thoughts on uniting them using newspaper (instead of air freshener) without shaking the problem hive out 1st?

I’m planning to shake out that hive a good bit away, then after a few days maybe a week unite them with a queen right hive that has a mated queen from this year. What’s your thoughts on uniting them using newspaper (instead of air freshener) without shaking the problem hive out 1st?
Well shake out or unite. Why do both? I’ve united two laying workers colonies this season through newspaper. Both to a much stronger colony. Both uneventful.

How can you shake out and unite? do one or the other and no need to take them a 'good bit away' If you suspect there's a queen in there somewhere, just shake them out a few dozen yards away. If you suspect laying workers, just paper unite.

How can you shake out and unite?
Shake them out and give them their hive back then unite. I think people hear from others that laying workers don’t fly so shaking them out removes them. It’s wrong of course but I have heard that shaking them out and putting a caged queen in their old hive might work. Never tried it though.

To be frank - I've never had that happen and there's seldom a season when I don't shake out a few nucs and failed colonies., shake out a few yards away, most of the bees will eventually find their way into other hives, if there is a queen there, you may find a small (and I mean a few dozen bees) cluster with the queen

Had it happen twice, sadly. Quite a sizable cluster formed (most of the bees). My advice was just to do one last very careful check for a queen, to avoid this. Then shake out.

Sometimes they refuse to accept anything you give them and will only raise their own queen. I messed around for 3 months with a suicidal colony the other year.
Chuck them on the floor it's too late to be messing around.

When introducing a queen in a cage, never keep the accompanying bees in with her. There will be a fight. They may have accepted her if she was on her own in the cage.

Back