Queen introduced

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic7056

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello and good morning to all on the forum . I am new to all of this beekeeping. Would some one please help had a few failures re queen introduction. Any tips etc to achieve success thank you for allowing me to join this happy beekeeping world

Hi first off there is no fool proof method, if you’ve had some rejections provide some details of what you have tried. Not aiming this at you but on 2 separate occasions I’ve heard of prospective beekeepers introducing a queen and attendants to empty hives😂

Hello and good morning . I totally understand I should have provided a little more info . Thank you for all your possible help . I bought 2 queens one introduced well with total acceptance . The second queen I received a few days later exactly the same method ie several frames of mixed brood placing the queen and her attendants within a cage for seven days . Then returned to remove all raised queen cells to insure the nuc was likely to accept . Then removing the safety tag inserted a little more fondant . The second introduction after a further seven days inspection showed absolutely no sign of her or any activity. The only difference I noticed with the second introduction was the yellow tab had already been removed
On both occasions on there arrival via the post I watered them a little then rested them for a few hours prior there introduction. Hope this clarifies my mode / method

Get Outlook for iOS

Ian123 replied to a thread you are watching at Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum.
Queen introduced
Hi first off there is no fool proof method, if you’ve had some rejections provide some details of what you have tried. Not aiming this at you but on 2 separate occasions I’ve heard of prospective beekeepers introducing a queen and attendants to empty hives😂
Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Queen introduced at Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.
If you no longer wish this thread or disable all emails.

Sorry a push in cage ? The only cage I have tried is the cage they come in I will
Look now on the internet

Sorry a push in cage ? The only cage I have tried is the cage they come in I will
Look now on the internet
Have a look here at Mike Palmers video.
Mike posts here
If you make sure you have all the brood capped so that the bees cannot make queen cells this method is almost foolproof.

If introducing I cake them in honey and pop them on the tops bars or on a bit of card to see how the acceptance goes.

Silly question, but how long to you leave the cage in place? Until the bees have eaten their way in via the fondant? Are we talking days or hours?

It's years since I last introduced a new queen, but removing the attendants in the cage is normally recommended to reduce hostility. The bees outside the cage should feed the queen through the holes.

removing the attendants in the cage is normally recommended to reduce hostility
I have in the past but don't bother now; the attendants and queen have the same pheromone, so if the queen is accepted...

Usually I find the attendants dead in the cage and the queen fed and well.

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice
I Introduced 3 queens all accepted eggs Larve present, in 2 hives.
Hive no3 Queen seen no problem of acceptance, there is no eggs or Larve but there was 2 Queen Cells.
Could there be a problem with the Queen.?
very strong hive.
thanks

or introducing queens to hives which already had a queen...

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice
I Introduced 3 queens all accepted eggs Larve present, in 2 hives.
Hive no3 Queen seen no problem of acceptance, there is no eggs or Larve but there was 2 Queen Cells.
Could there be a problem with the Queen.?
very strong hive.
thanks
When did you introduce this queen and how have they made queen cells if she is not laying? They will tend to do this with a new introduce queen, not always but often as she is not of the same line as the workers. I usually remove them or put them in the nuc to get a new queen.

several frames of mixed brood placing the queen and her attendants within a cage for seven days . Then returned to remove all raised queen cells to insure the nuc was likely to accept . Then removing the safety tag inserted a little more fondant
That was your mistake IMHO, Introduce the queen in her cage immediately the hive is made queenless, or the nuc is made up, only leave the tab over the fondant for 24 hours (little longer if they are very aggressive towards her) and if there isn't a flow on - feed them

Hi
I introduced the new Queen at the same time I got rid of the old Queen.
When she was in the Queen cage they were making QC, I left her in till they stopped making cell. Then I released her all good, 3 June .
I went to check on Sunday 13th QC didn’t see any larvre or eggs Queen just walking about, Plenty of stores plus 3 honey chambers on top.I presume she laid the eggs to make the QC .
Could they be preparing to swarm or is she not up to much

Latest posts

Back