queen excluders which way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got perforated zink and some plastic ones. I just want to use the ones that are best for the bees if everyone said wire ones are deffinatly the best i know they are expensive... I would use them what does everyone use?????

I'm sure that half the people on this forum will put their excluder the other way, just because it's the oposite to Th***es recommendation!

exactly! chortles loudly having enjoyed afternoon in sun replacing QEs in random orientations in my hives.

This is turning out to be a little "Rocket Science" for me all over a QX lol

Ive got perforated zink and some plastic ones. I just want to use the ones that are best for the bees if everyone said wire ones are deffinatly the best i know they are expensive... I would use them what does everyone use?????

A lot of people don't like zinc now on the basis they can damage the bees wings.

I think the concensus of opinon would be that the wire framed ones are best if only because they are robust.
The plastic ones are flimsy and the slotted steel ones suppoedly damage the wings.
However, I have a combination of the three and I've never really noticed any discernable difference.
And I reckon PH was right way back on page 1 - I doubt it makes any difference which way round they go. Just don't try diagonally:D

That's right. I didn't quote you. You said it reduces the available area. I said if you halve the area of the excluder you halve the area of the slots That was an example that most people could understand. That fact leads on to reducing by any other fraction will effectively reduce the slot area by the same fraction. I left that for the readers to work out. Fairly simple, basic and straightforward.

Whatever fraction happens to be above the frame top bars (we are assuming here the Q/E is laid on the top bars) will reduce the slotted area in exactly the same ratio as the unslotted area, n'est pas?

Of course it may deviate from the theoretical (probability wise), but on average the resultant reductions will be comparable. Now, lets think about the half slots; yes they may well be propolised making them even more useless as slots for the bees. That is why they are not put on that way.

RAB

victor meldrew,

The problem with framed slotted steel excluders is that they need a robust framework to prevent sagging. That is the simple reason why I use the rigid wire excluders, even though I don't use them so often, or for very long ( I am 100% top bee space).

Regards, RAB

I didn't mention

I did. It was a simple example of reducing the area of the excluder. About one of the simplest I could think of that readers would understand. Simple proportionality. I put a figure on your flawed answer.

I have since expanded on the reduced slotted area available, if laid parallel to the top bars, just as further explanation as to why they are laid slots across the frames.

You may note that I usually justify my reasoning with examples or analogies. No different here, where the correction was necessary.

I didn't mention

I did. It was a simple example of reducing the area of the excluder. About one of the simplest I could think of that readers would understand. Simple proportionality. I put a figure on your flawed answer.

I have since expanded on the reduced slotted area available, if laid parallel to the top bars, just as further explanation as to why they are laid slots across the frames.

You may note that I usually justify my reasoning with examples or analogies. No different here, where the correction was necessary.

I understand what simple means - you don't need to underline it.

Bottom bee space hives ..... ensure the excluder has a bee space below it, not directly atop of the frames and therefore not in contact with them.
My WBC hives are old and have a 5/16 eke to lift them above the frames below, and not being square have to fit with the wire QE / zinc QE/ plastic QE in the orientation that fits.

They are mostly parallel with the frames,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LOL !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back