Queen excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chatbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a WBC hive and added a super last week putting the queen excluder on top of the brood box. The queen excluder is the slotted steel type with no frame.

Yesterday when I inspected after the super had been on for a week I found several (about 15) dead bees that seemed to have got trapped in the queen excluder when trying to access the super. 8 of the ten frames in the super have drawn wax some with uncapped honey so a lot of bees must be getting through.

I'm still worrid about the 15 dead bees though, have I put the excluder on incorrectly or should I be using one with a frame or is this normal?

Ta

Last edited:
You don't say if they were workers or drones. I've occasionally found drones that have tried to get through and got stuck, but workers shouldn't. I would be concerned that the excluder may be outside tolerances.

The bees trapped were all workers.

I would be surprised if the excluder was out of tolerance it's brand new !!! The way I have installed it the excluder lies flat on top of the frames in the brood box is this correct?

"I would be surprised if the excluder was out of tolerance it's brand new !!!"

you'd be surprised then - check out the thread(s) about the plastic ones from Th***es.

The way I have installed it the excluder lies flat on top of the frames in the brood box is this correct?

Yes, that's correct - you are probably safe as the faulty ones were plastic nationals, but may be worth getting the tape measure out to make sure.

Are you sure you didn't squish them while putting the QE on?

have you got it the right way up? wider side down for when bees come in loaded and narrower on top for when they've slimmed down?

Thanks, I've read the threads as you suggest, I'll get my tape measure out next time I open the hive.

have you got it the right way up? wider side down for when bees come in loaded and narrower on top for when they've slimmed down?
Oops , I didn't know there was a right or wrong way round, something to check next time I open up

Oops , I didn't know there was a right or wrong way round, something to check next time I open up
I've checked my QE and cannot turn it round so the slots are in line with the frames as it then does not fit (there is a gap around the super) . Mine is a WBC Hive, is there a version of the slotted steel QE specifically for a WBC hive, I'm thinking that I have the National version?

If it fits one way but not the other then it is the correct QX for your WBC. It wouldn't fit either way if it was a square national QX.
There are usually two lugs on each side of the wire frame and with these on top your bee gap will be below.

The queen excluder is the slotted steel type with no frame.

...and thus only fit for the bin

They are crap unframed, being propolised to the top bars in only a few days, and only marginally better when framed. Why they continue to be made is a mystery.

Plastic excluders might have been the way forward but every single one fails to recognise the basic concept of bee space established a century and a half ago. Make them out of suitably stiff self supporting material, with an integral 18 & 12mm wide frame providing bee space above the top bars and they might be ok.

Until then, framed wire excluders are the only properly engineered solution.

Not had much problem with slotted QX got my first wire with frame only to find full of wax have tride both ways up frame top frame bottom :-((

Slotted steel are fine, especially for the budget conscious. Personally prefer the framed ones, but they are 3 times the prices, and do the same practical job. Plastic ones more likely to ping tardy bees about, so they are 3rd choice.

Latest posts

Back