queen cells - swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Second inspection of the season last Saturday, and in one of my standard nationals, there was brood over 5 frames - plus the start of a few queen cells on the bottom of 2 frames, but no eggs laid in them. These are probably play cells i would imagine but the warning signs are there. I've read a few threads about swarms, but wondered how many beeks have had any so far this season?

These sound like play cups and are nothing to worry about. I would not call these 'the start of queen cells' as there is a very weak relationship betweent he presence of play cups and the onset of swarming.

These sound like play cups and are nothing to worry about. I would not call these 'the start of queen cells' as there is a very weak relationship betweent he presence of play cups and the onset of swarming.

:iagree: totally.....well put

hi,

yes, as i put in my OP i recognised them as play cells - was wondering if there have been any early swarms reported though?

Ther have been no reproduction swarms in London I have heard of yet. There have been a couple of what I think were starvation swarms.

These sound like play cups and are nothing to worry about. I would not call these 'the start of queen cells' as there is a very weak relationship between the presence of play cups and the onset of swarming.

I found a play cup in my first inspection, I wasn't that worried because I've got a brand new empty hive sitting ready to put some bees in. However; what are play cups for?

I found a play cup in my first inspection, I wasn't that worried because I've got a brand new empty hive sitting ready to put some bees in. However; what are play cups for?

For the bees to practice their BBKA Basic Swarming Module in?

:icon_204-2:

Every hive has playcups and they mean nothing.

And if you hear that "there was a swarm", it means nothing.

Nurse your own hives and let others do what they do.

If I have in one hive queen cells, it does not mean that other hives swarm.

That about collective hystery....

Question: Does this colony have any emerged drone brood? If not, it is very unlikely they are going to swarm in the next few days. A very simple observation at inspections.

Question: Does this colony have any emerged drone brood? If not, it is very unlikely they are going to swarm in the next few days. A very simple observation at inspections.
yes, I did observe emerged drones in the colony, there was about half a dozen if that, however there are several small patches of capped drone brood. As far as i can tell, the queen (summer 2012 queen) is laying well at the moment with regular patterns of capped worker brood and plenty of eggs & grubs present, so I dont think it looks like she is starting to fail.

Last edited:
Hi Gower,

To answer your question - no swarming of mine or anyone around me that I have heard of yet. Don't suppose it will be too long 'though as plenty of people are too frightened to look inside their hives because it is a bit chilly!

Meg

Looking at the stocks around here in S. Devon I think the main swarming season this year will be around late May/ early June, not much going on anyway for the next few weeks.
Because of the high number of scrub queens from last years matings supersedure will be higher than normal so check on the size, number and placement of queen cells before cutting out.

Inspected my colonies last week, they had LOTS of store, both sealed and unsealed brood, also a small amount of sealed drone brood, about 40mm in diameter.

Can someone please tell me if this is a good or bad sign this early and why ?

Thank you.

Can someone please tell me if this is a good or bad sign this early and why ?

Honeybee is a wild animal and it does what it does.

Beekeepers have allways an idea, what bees must do but they do not.

And the farmers. Allways thing are too much or too less but never proper.

I had a colony last year that had made play cups all year and never went into swarm mode

Hi all,
Most of the colonies at our association apiary had some drone brood. None of mine, last year's swarms, as yet, but I have not done my 2nd inspection yet. A lot can happen in two weeks as we learnt from our apiary session!

Latest posts

Back