Queen cells / Swarm cells - what is the difference?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alynewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am a newbie and I think I must have had a senior moment during my course, and have missed a bit of vital info. I thought queen cells and swarm cells were the same thing, but then thinking about it, is a queen cell to do with supercedure and you would only see one or maybe two, and swarm cells are when they are about to swarm so they create many? I've looked through my Hoopers and swarm cells are not mentioned in the index (although it is a very old edition). Any advice /clarification would be most welcome. Thank you.

Swarm Cells and Supercedure Cells are both Queen Cells

Swarm Cells are often many in the hive at this time of year and are generally but not always at the bottom of the frames.

Supercedure Cells although I am not 100% confident on this are often singular in the centre of a frame and although can be at any time of the year it seems to me often happens towards the back end of the season.

Brilliant, thanks for that. I'll go back and reread the post that first set me to scratching my head in puzzlement in the light of what you say.

aly

All Q cells you see now are 'swarm cells'

Supercedure cells appear in late Summer)

All Q cells you see now are 'swarm cells'

If only that were true, but sadly it is not. Mainly, yes; universally - 'fraid not.

RAB

RAB

You are correct - I should have said that probably 99% of Q cells are swarm cells at this time of year.......

....will that do?

richard

Supercedure cells tend to appear in the middle of frames and often are not singular. I have been prepping a troublesome colony for a queen introduction from one of these cells in the last few days and have been selecting from multiple cells in the centre of frames.

Rab, have you been away or busy ...haven't seen your posts as much recently.

All the best,
Sam

Supercedure is often denoted by 4-6 cells in the middle of the comb.

However timing is also a clue as most of my AMM supped on the heather. First I would know was a unmarked queen in spring when th card said it was a marked clipped q.

Many supercedures pass un noticed as the queens are not marked.

PH

And it's normal to be confused...this is an odd season!

From everything I've read, it certainly seems to be. Makes it an .... errrr ..... interesting season to start up as a newbie. Still chuffed I did though, despite my million and one questions. :)

Why do you think it's an odd season? and do think it's good odd or bad odd?

Every season is different which is partly what makes it so interesting.

PH

I agree with PH's comment.

Just reinforces the fact that specific calender dates for any manipulations, occurrences, or whatever, are an utter waste of print where bees (or British weather) are concerned.

Any specific dates quoted are only a (very) rough guide to real beekeepers, but 'the bible' for statisticians - and most of us have heard of 'lies, d*mn lies and statistics'!

Think about it: a miss to one side of a target is a miss; a miss, equi-distant on the other side, is still a miss. Only a dim-wit (or a statistician) would say they were a direct hit (on the average)!

RAB

Back