Q hatched - should we removed 2nd QC?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryme

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, advice needed please re queen cells. We did an AS two weeks ago, hopefully successfully, and all has seemed well since. The new colony has settled well with the Q now having provided us with five frames of brood and all working well otherwise - good progress in the super etc.. The parent colony had 5 QC that we reduced to two. One now seems to have hatched, the cell opened with the flap open at the bottom. The second, insurance cell, had lots of bees around it today - maybe keeping her in? Should we destroy this cell? Are we risking a swarm if we leave it? If we destroy it are we trusting to an unknown newly hatched Q? answers on a postcard please....

Also - query no2. In another colony the Q has been a bit slow to get going after a fantastic year last year. She was dawdling along on three frames of brood until about a week ago, this has picked up to five frames this week. BUT there does seem to be a QC being constructed in the middle-ish of a frame. I know it's early but could this be supercedure? Should we just observe? Do an AS on this colony? Hoping for more answers on more postcards please..... :confused:

"If we destroy it are we trusting to an unknown newly hatched Q?"

Yes. The same as every AS. Such is the nature of the beast.

You have answered your own question in the 2nd issue. It is pretty clear she is not performing as she did last year, now they're building one cell. Reads to me they are looking to replace her.

PH

Thanks PH, so - we destroy 2nd QC with our fingers crossed in the parent colony and we should just leave them to it in the supercedure scenario?... ooh these bees keep you on your toes!

That is clear now thank you....too much thinking time however ... If we go tomorrow and 2nd Q has hatched do we scour through, find two (I'm not too hopeful of spotting newly hatched skinny Qs), squish one or leave them to battle it out and hope for no cast swarm? Don't want to fiddle unnecessarily but also don't want to be twiddling thumbs (and tingly toes) when decisive action is needed!

Are we risking a swarm if we leave it? If we destroy it are we trusting to an unknown newly hatched Q?

Whichever way, there will only be one virgin queen in your hive to mate and hopefully continue the colony.

You have three colonies? If one goes pear-shaped, you have the back up for correcting the hiccup.

I am thinking you have not moved the 'queen cell' colony since the A/S? If this is the case there is a higher risk of a second swarm.

RAB

Latest posts

Back