Stubbornly queen less

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have a Q- colony, and despite my best efforts it still appears Q-. It had a Q coming out of winter, but has not had one for the last 7 wks. I have moved a Q into with two frames of brood from another colony making swarm preps; moved a further frame of eggs but still no Q. Q cells were made but torn down after the frames were introduced. I couldn't see any hatched Q cells. The bees are well behaved, and there are some polished cells, but there have been for the last 4 weeks or so, and there are no eggs, multiple or otherwise. It is next to another colony (swarm) which are very gentle, with a laying Q. What should I do next week when I go back? Combine with the gentle colony (I'd stick them on top over a QX); shake out or leave as; if so for how long as the bees are getting old? I have enough other colonies so don't really need this one. I could leave them to dwindle of course, but them feels a bit callous!

Apologies; just seen the Q- since April thread, where this would be better placed.

Apologies; just seen the Q- since April thread, where this would be better placed.
whatever you do do NOT combine with a colony if there is the slightest hope of you having a queen in there. I would say that hope still esists!

Latest posts

Back