Pyracantha

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one at one of my out apiaries, owners tell me that they (bees) have been all over it again this year, I saw them all over it last year. In full flower. We also have holly in flower at home but not noticed any bees on it yet.

I strongly suspect you are correct, Erica

...but don't understand why they keep posing as new beekeepers, presumably Mark Patterson has at least one hive.

London_flower_guy ?

.....looks like another lbka committee member posting under a alternative username!

not an LBKA committee member and this is the only account I have here, I am a keen and experienced horticulturalist hence the user name.

this forum really is full of insecure, quite bitchy and paranoid people.....just my initial observations having been here less than a day

also never said I was new to keeping, ive been a bee keeper for a few seasons now, I am just new to this forum. You people sure know how to make new comers feel welcome

Btw why the cold hatred towards LBKA? There is a reoccurring theme going on here on this site. It's quite obvious, even to new arrivals such as myself.

One aspect I enjoy about bee keeping is the social aspect, meeting like minded people with which to share your interest. I am sensing little of that here.

not an LBKA committee member and this is the only account I have here, I am a keen and experienced horticulturalist hence the user name.

this forum really is full of insecure, quite bitchy and paranoid people.....just my initial observations having been here less than a day

I don't give a damn who you are, london_flower_guy - I hope you will share your horticultural knowledge as well as your beekeeping knowledge with us :)

Btw why the cold hatred towards LBKA? There is a reoccurring theme going on here on this site. It's quite obvious, even to new arrivals such as myself.
You're right, and it seems very personal and shouldn't really overspill onto the internet. Ignore it and it might go away.
One aspect I enjoy about bee keeping is the social aspect, meeting like minded people with which to share your interest. I am sensing little of that here.
We're quite nice really.

Stroll into chat one evening, you'll get to know more people that way :)

I don't give a damn who you are, london_flower_guy - I hope you will share your horticultural knowledge as well as your beekeeping knowledge with us :)

:I agree:

Hi London Flower Guy,

Thanks for your earlier, very interesting and informative responses to my forage question. To repay the favour, I wanted to reply to the question which you posed recently.

Objectively, please consider the two interventions by this forum’s moderator related to postings by an LBKA representative on the thread “Planting a bee garden” by the pollenbasket on 23rd March this year. (It’s a pity that you weren’t posting then, given your expertise !)

The advertisement of a commercial product (not allowed under our forum rules). 24th March 2013. Post #13.

Creating Wildflower Bee friendly spaces

Happy planting.
Last edited by Hivemaker.; 25th March 2013 at 11:15 PM..

This advert was removed by the moderator on 25th March, so cannot be viewed now.

The use of two aliases on this forum by an LBKA officer: 27th March 2013. Post 39

I am busy_bee
So who is user busy_bee now then? In London or Somerset.
Last edited by Hivemaker.; 27th March 2013 at 09:12 PM..

• I would also add the tendency towards a practice called “shilling” – ie for LBKA Committee / sub Committee Members to post on this Forum, positively on LBKA issues, without disclosing their affiliations. Post #33.

Originally Posted by alanf
A "shill" I suspect is the term. Posing as an enthusiastic purchaser for your own or a close associate's goods. Astro-turfing is the corporate version of a "grassroots" campaign where paid lobbyists pose in public as independent supporters of a policy. Just trying to keep the definitions tidy!

alanf,

I do like "shill". It has a real ring to it! Our local sarf east London website calls all such stuff "astro-turfing" and they would have come down like a ton of bricks on "first time" posters like busy bee plugging a commercial product, so I'm sorry for being a couple of degrees off target with my definition!

And thanks again for "shill", though ! Nice one! (djg)

So now you know….London Flower Guy. What you call “cold hate” is better expressed as an evidenced-based mistrust of LBKA officers who have broken forum rules to promote their own agendas.

Please keep up the good work on your posts, London Flower Guy, notwithstanding, but we should all be careful to read and respect this forum’s rules…

london_flower_guy

I'd have thought the official "Forage Officer" of the lbka would have been on the committee.....my mistake!

Thanks for the explanation.

Now back to Pyracantha....

Indeed.

I was wondering whether there are micro-factors affecting the Pyracanthas (quality of soil; shade/sun exposure; variety) and influencing the quality of the nectar - or whether it would be differences in the forage requirements of bees in each local environment which accounted for the different observations and opinions on this plant as bee-forage?

Whatever the flower I can tell whether it is secreting nectar by tasting it.
My husband thinks I'm mad as I sample the hedgerows :icon_204-2:

Whatever the flower I can tell whether it is secreting nectar by tasting it.
My husband thinks I'm mad as I sample the hedgerows :icon_204-2:

erichalfbee

And not to be sniffed at...for pollen ?

Bumbles are taking an interest in a pyracantha bush outside my lounge window as I type!
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed.

I was wondering whether there are micro-factors affecting the Pyracanthas (quality of soil; shade/sun exposure; variety) and influencing the quality of the nectar - or whether it would be differences in the forage requirements of bees in each local environment which accounted for the different observations and opinions on this plant as bee-forage?

I'd imagine all of those would be factors. I'm thinking that the apparent increased popularity of pyracantha this season could be weather related. Late spring means bees may have missed out on other sources of forage so are going after fire thorn as an alternative?

Latest posts

Back