Public beekeeping talk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete D, did you get my PM?

I would love a copy of what you have as I'm in a similar position having been volunteered for a talk!

Cheers

Well I went along and did my talk which seemed to go down very well. Took a hive and some frames, stripped it down and showed them what was what, passed frames and tools around. Talked about the honey bee, varroa and went through the beekeepers year ending on honey harvest. This led me into tasting 4 honeys, spring, summer, soft set and Ivy. This then led to sales of 15 jars.
I then had to judge the cake competition, the Easter bonnet competition and the home made bee craft competition.............
Ate cake, tried all the hats on and squeezed all the cuddly toys.
They offered to pay me £30 for the talk but I said it was foc but please call me if you see any bee swarms this year !
I have the powerpoint presentation and would happily share it but dont know how, cant seem to post it anywhere
Pete D

Only a matter of time before you are on the WI National Circuit ... all those grey haired, blue rinsed, good cooks, hanging on your every word and buying your honey !! ... quite exciting !!

Pete D, did you get my PM?

I would love a copy of what you have as I'm in a similar position having been volunteered for a talk!

Cheers

Hi, yes I did e mail it to you, just done it again, its quite a big file but it went........... check your spam :hairpull:
If it doesnt work maybe admin can help get it on here, I tried to put it in an album but that knocked it back........... any suggestions.

Hi, yes I did e mail it to you, just done it again, its quite a big file but it went........... check your spam :hairpull:
If it doesnt work maybe admin can help get it on here, I tried to put it in an album but that knocked it back........... any suggestions.

ha ha , just checked mine and its come back as exceeding size limit.........
I await further suggestions

ha ha , just checked mine and its come back as exceeding size limit.........
I await further suggestions
What size is that? Email providers have attachment size limits. Used to be as small as 1MB or below in the olden days, but several still use 2 or 5 now. That can apply to your sending account or their receiving account or both. In any case, email isn't an efficient way of sharing larger files. You end up with many copies on many servers and because of the coding they are all larger than the original.

Dropbox is probably the most well known independent file sharing service, a free account allows 2MB with a limit of 300MB (IIRC) on any single file. I like it because it's cross platform. Otherwise, Google, Microsoft, Apple and other big players all provide docs/files storage that can be shared. There are other file sharing services targeted at anyone from the business oriented to gamers, some of them with less copyright scruples than others.

The alternative if you are determined to email a file is to get the size down. Actually, that's always worthwhile because large files are disk hogs and take longer to open or transfer. Compression (zip for instance) is possible but won't work well on something like a powerpoint with jpeg pictures because the jpegs are already compressed and they are taking most of the space. First task is to make sure the pictures are re-sized for the display you're using, a 2000x1000 picture that is cropped to a 600x400 panel is larger than it needs to be; resize it to the size you want, tweak up the compression until just before it gets "blocky". Full colour A4 scans of line drawings are enormous, resize and reduce to grey scale or monochrome. Quote in text, don't use a bitmap scan of the page. If it's still big but only, say, 50% over the size limit a quick and dirty fix is splitting it into two separate slide shows.

Thanks goes to Andy, 'Yorkshire bees' for making this available to all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jammfa9lnwt8ib/Pete D - Public Beekeeping Presentation.ppt

I have no copyright whatsoever and you may recognise some of the photo's contained within (Chris B certainly will) as they have been downloaded from all over the place, including this forum, so credit to the photographers whoever you are. Oh and last page containing facts came from another site but at least one of them is certainly wrong.

cheers

What were we saying earlier about the value of this forum? Thanks Pete - on the day that I have been approached to give a talk to a local group, wondering if I could put something together in time! I would be indebted to you if I could make use.

What were we saying earlier about the value of this forum? Thanks Pete - on the day that I have been approached to give a talk to a local group, wondering if I could put something together in time! I would be indebted to you if I could make use.

Help yourself thats why its posted
cheers

Back