protecting your hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a steel cable from screw fix or someone set around a foot of the ground and across the path is good, but why not a piece of balack thread conected to say a tape recording " why are you here or sod off" etc or connected to a shot gun shell no dont use ammo but a bang dropper set up where it sound like a shotgun but without the pellets.

Alarm guns that set off a shotgun blank with a fishing line tripwire are available from Henry Krank (www.henrykrank.com). I'd use the 'black powder' blanks - a lot louder & black powder residue is easy to detect on clothing. Also no licence is needed for blank cartridges.

Branding Irons

If anyone is interested - I purchased for myself at the local farm auction today a set of wood branding irons, no.s 0-9, all unused to brand my hives with.

All I need to do now is get a couple of letters of the alphabet to brand my postcode onto the hives - the branding part is cast bronze I think (dark gold in colour) with a screw thread behind to fit the handles in.

Available to borrow !

(of course, I will NOT be branding my BeeHaus as I think it might melt....)

S

If anyone is interested - I purchased for myself at the local farm auction today a set of wood branding irons, no.s 0-9, all unused to brand my hives with.

All I need to do now is get a couple of letters of the alphabet to brand my postcode onto the hives - the branding part is cast bronze I think (dark gold in colour) with a screw thread behind to fit the handles in.

Available to borrow !

(of course, I will NOT be branding my BeeHaus as I think it might melt....)

S

Thing is it's the bees they want to nick, if they see your hives with post code on, the hives will be ditched pronto, I bought some 5mm number and latter punches, we have put the post code and house number an all main hive parts but in obscure places where they can't be seen easily, this way if they are nicked they may keep hold of the kit and the post code, you could brand the bees though :biggrinjester:

>you could brand the bees though <

Or maybe use ear tags.

Or freeze branding your bees. :willy_nilly:

bee-smillie

Last edited:
i just paint mine

I think I will do the same, on a per bee basis, the queen is the most expensive. Therefore the plan for next year is:

Only worry about the queen. Pick a random colour (say.....Blue) and paint her thorax.

Therefore, if any of you guys on the forum see a queen next year with a Blue thorax, you will all know it is mine and send it back to me.

Simples

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

marking queens and hives will only work if they are found..

prevention has to be far better, although I am looking networked tiltmeters and tracking devices at the moment! :hat:

I was talking to a local commercial beekeeper last night and one of their number has drilled a 1 inch hole in the solid floor and plugged the hole with a cork, the cork has a screw eye attached, that is then attached to a piece of black string attached to the hive stand or a weight in the ground. Lift the hive and the girls have a new way out, usual result a dropped hive and nothing taken, low tech but simple.

BEEBREADER
"THATS THE BEST IDEA YET"..
As a ex gem safe blower, now beekeeper! i would be wearing a hood, stolen van, new number plates, be in and out before the owner had got out a bed.

WE had a beek near us that had worked his bees for the day locked the gate drove across the field to his home for snaps and smoko
arrived back to find 25 hive gone,
CLIVE

Sphell chequer???????

I thought this was a beekeeping forum.........not a grammer school ??
Does it really matter as long as you can read it ?

Well said!:iagree:

erratum

I know this post is old, but thanks for the giggle this gave me! Brill.-t

This comment refers to a post written with all the right letters but not necessarily in the right order [Morecombe and Wise] except for the first and last letters. It was very clever but I can't find it now....and your website keeps refusing to load pages and is a right DRONE!

Just so you know I don't make ad hock comments without reason....all the time.:redface:

Oh no another "Oops" Google message. Will it save this time?

Last edited:
Its wot eye went too, long thyme ago tho:seeya:

Fore Yeers ago I cudn't even spel bea keaper...

Now I am wun :rofl:

Latest posts

Back