Pride before the fall!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Nicholson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Expanded my strongest hive from Nat. To 14x12 a couple of weeks ago - inspected two days ago and added another deep frame after the two added previously had started being drawn well. Really pleased with getting this colony through the winter as they had multiple swarmed last year and I was left with a new queen to take into winter. She's proved a great layer and before expansion had 5 frames of good brood.
Well......... I checked the poorest frame, that I was replacing with a 14x12, and put it by the hive. Did the business and buttoned up - all happy!
2 hours later I check again and see a group of six bees clumped on the ground in front of the hive........ Out of which emerged a lovely queen! I caught her on a tissue (had no gear on) and instantly she took wing and bu##ered off over the hedge at great speed. :hairpull:
Now hive "roaring" thus this was their queen and my incompetence has left them Q-.
.......and I was hoping to take a split from this hive to supplement my other one that has just scraped through and is also queenless.
Salutary lesson to not check once but more, especially as I have great problems seeing a queen (unmarked) in a mass of bees.
One day maybe I will be able to say I am a beekeeper....... But not yet!- and I suspect -not for a long time.
So now I'm waiting for Q'cells to get me back on track but this sorry episode has put me back a month at least.
P. (very disappointed)

She might go back home. It is a bit less bad that at least she had a few attendants with her.

If the colony had eggs they will produce an emergency queen...

presume you dropped her on the floor when fiddling about with the frames?

I can see the grins on some of the more experienced beeks... been there etc!
Always worth a double check around the hives after pulling them apart!!

A salutory lesson about the benefits of clipping?

I had one queen fly off into the blue yonder, after marking. She was back in the hive a week later. So cross your fingers.

Thanks for not 'dissing' me guys and for the positives.
All quiet in the hive this am - does anyone know how long the "roaring" goes on for if they remain queenless as none heard today. It has been three days now so they will be producing queen cells if still Q-.
Am I too optimistic to think she may have returned? .... but then we are always optimistic aren't we.:sunning:
P.

As soon as you take the roof off next time you will know if a queen is in there, there mood will be a give away!
Sorry it ended up like that for you, always try and keep the frames over the hive when inspecting, keeping our fingers crossed for you
E

All quiet in the hive this am - does anyone know how long the "roaring" goes on for if they remain queenless as none heard today. It has been three days now so they will be producing queen cells if still Q-.
Am I too optimistic to think she may have returned? .... but then we are always optimistic aren't we.:sunning:
P.

Sorry to hear of the mishap, if you have open mesh floor and the inspection board isn't in have a look under it. I've seen and known queens to be found under there.
I have also had queens that flew off only to return to the hive and be present the next time I looked.

It's always a good idea to place the frame in a box and then if anything does fall off you will see it when you put the frame back.

Lesson learned, these things happen.

Cazza

Had an episode like that last year at the apiary we were going to unite two colonies, by removing one young queen from a caught swarm - as our queen rearing officer wasn't to happy with this queen, much too flighty! but rather than waste her she was going to be put into one of two Q- as we went to pick her up, she just flew away, flighty alright!! anyway if she did come back there would have been no hive there!
The same time we marked and put another queen into one of the nucs. The week after this nuc was still Q- but she was found in the other Q- nuc next door!!

Hi Pete.

Last year I had a queen fly off when I nudged her with my hive tool, trying to shift her to one side. [I know, I know!]

I shut up shop - and didn't dare tell anyone what a p*llock I'd been.

A long, long week later, she was happily back, going about her business.

I eventually 'fessed up on the Forum. How we all laughed!

So, don't despair yet!

Dusty.

Hi Pete.

Last year I had a queen fly off when I nudged her with my hive tool, trying to shift her to one side. [I know, I know!]

I shut up shop - and didn't dare tell anyone what a p*llock I'd been.

A long, long week later, she was happily back, going about her business.

I eventually 'fessed up on the Forum. How we all laughed!

So, don't despair yet!

Dusty.

And that's a euphemism for...?

We all make mistakes, even so you are brave to admit them on this forum!

When I am perfect I will criticize you, until then all I can do is offer my commiserations. Hopefully an emergency cell will save the day.

P.

After do some things We noticed the hive was upset (Nasenov city wasnt in it) I went back and found the queen on the slabs by the side of the hive. Popped her back on the landing board ... and all was well in 20 minutes. Could of easily stepped on her. Now we look on the ground after every manipulation. You can only hope to eventually have it right most of the time.

Oh Thanks so much all of you - I feel much better now with all these supportive replies. This forum is great, as are the members!
Really appreciate this and am not feeling so bad now as a novice BEEK.
Will update if hmq returns and also if I find she hasn't and QC's produced with a time line - am inspecting sunday (weather permitting) ie. after 5 days so should know either way. One question, if QC's are produced and queen returns afterwards - some have suggested a week later, what happens then; do the workers destroy the queen cells or does the queen herself destroy them if she is accepted.
Thanks again all.
Pete.

and queen returns afterwards - some have suggested a week later

Who suggested that? She is either back or lost, long before now.

Last edited:
you obviously have not read the thread stream Oliver.Would you be able to answer my question regarding who destroys QC's? I would value your opinion as an experienced beekeeper.
P.

I read the thread and nobody suggested that she would return after a week - as far as I can recall. Maybe you have not read the posts properly?

Would you be able to answer my question regarding who destroys QC's?

From post #16?

Try reading and understanding my post #16. I thought that would be clear enough. Perhaps I should have inserted 'long before' instead of 'by' when I wrote the reply. I have now changed it to make it nearly as absolutely crystal clear as possible to all the inexperienced beeks.

Latest posts

Back