Price of logs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8" is effing huge!

Yes it is!

Just fitted a flexi flue liner my self, 7" 904/904 stainless and 7" was the max I could fit, which is also the size of the outlet of the wood burner, which is what you size your flue to. Make it to big and it will not work as the desing of the stove.

Me on top of chimney, (on scaffold I had built as I also rebuilt the top section of chimney), and father in law at base. Me pushing and him pulling. At bit tricky getting the last angle as it came into the wood burner.

Also backfilled the void with vermiculite.

Much better draw, now and also good piece of mind having done it.

Also swapped the smoke alarm in this room of a combined smoke and co2.

And as for making your own paper bricks....waste of time a effort!

"And as for making your own paper bricks....waste of time a effort!"

I agree - use it to light the fire.

if you have enough paper to make into logs then you need to think about your paper consumption - better it stays as trees locally until needed for fuel rather than going through paper making process, printing, distribution etc.

"If you are having a log burner fitted ensure that the flu, the tube out of the back is at least 8 inches in diameter"

8 inch minimum for a open fire but not a log burner or multi fuel stove. Some stoves can have a 5 inch flue.

Last edited:
And as for making your own paper bricks....waste of time a effort!

I tried it once when we had an open fire. I found they tended to smoulder rather than burn properly and after you had put a few on the grate got clogged up with ash.
Maybe I didn't make them properly, or maybe they are better in a stove or range rather than an open fire.

"If you are having a log burner fitted ensure that the flu, the tube out of the back is at least 8 inches in diameter"

8 inch minimum for a open fire but not a log burner or multi fuel stove. Some stoves can have a 5 inch flue.

Ah well there you go - it was an open fire I had the problems with and when I moved to my next house it had a huge log burner and that had an 8 inch diameter pipe out the back anyway. Moms burner has the same 8 inch pipe in her house and that is a multyfuel burner. Just had a look at the building regs and for multyfuel burners they say minimum of 150 mil which is 6 inches. They state you may get a smaller outlet on the burner itself 125 mil, but the manufacturer should state in their user manual to install a larger pipe as the flu and join it on. Unless its DEFRA exempt which is date dependant - "If the stove is Defra Exempt and has a 125mm outlet then a 125mm diameter flue may be used. This is a recent update (Oct 1st 2010) to the regs."

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-flue-sizes.html

Be care full if burning pallets on an open fire as some pallets are treated and give off toxic fumes when burned.

Pallets have a code on them, HT means heat treated,to kill the bugs, so no chemicals, can't remember all the codes but you can find them online.
Indian sandstone is very popular at the moment for patios, it often comes packed in hardwood pallets, bonus if you can find them.
If you stack the pallet timber, like a pack of cards, in the burner it lasts a lot,lot longer than just chucking it in.

I think we are up to speed now; today's project is hearth construction in accordance with Document J, tomorrow's project is to complete the log store, the CO2 alarm is already purchased, the logs arrive at 9am tomorrow and the stove is being fitted on Wednesday. Oh and Mrs B is looking at cast iron casseroles for a little stove top catering.

BTW the flue will be 6 inch insulated stainless, apparently with modern stoves it's about keeping the flue gasses warm enough to allow them to rise up the chimney before they condense.

Well the logs have arrived, the log store is finished (although I suspect I will need to build another bay) and the hearth is constructed apart from grouting the tiles.

The logs seem to be reasonable value, after stacking there is about 1.6 m3 in volume and a fair amount of hardwoods such as oak and fruit trees, there are some willow and conifer logs too but a lot less than the heavy hardwoods. I have as yet to check the moisture content as I am waiting for amazon to deliver the meter.

wood burners

we have 13 kw wood burner double sided so we can load in the dining room or living room BRILIANT heats whole house(three bed semi)24/7 last years gas 50 quid for whole winter (oct-mar) wood pile was about 1.5x6x2m mainly oak with some beech all gathered from side of road foc apart from petrol wait for a blustery night/day go round gathering brilliant

Latest posts

Back