Pretty Poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I've taken delivery of two very handsome poly hives, 14 x 12, complete with OMF, roof and two supers each. I am very impressed (notwithstanding the scorn of some bk's locally, on the basis that sterilisation is more difficult than those fabricated from good old fashioned wood).

At this cost, beekeeping becomes much more attractive from financial and overwintering viewpoints. Though I remained skeptical, I can now see why PH and others rave about them. These particular offerings from a well known West Sussex supplier really do look the part!

It is recommended that they are painted with masonry paint to counter the effects of long term UV (pink poly's anyone?) and I will probably go down this route (not pink).

What a shame though that one of the original brood boxes was damaged in transit - no problem in that it was replaced (shipped by overnight courier) - but for another damaged unit. It's not difficult bee suppliers - fragile equipment with just one outer protective skin of cardboard will not survive the rigours of transit, even with 'fragile' tape applied! :mad:

Hmmm, yes, they could have put some polystyrene round it to protect it...:)

Laughed at that - but ironically, a few poly chips would have given just the 'isolation' from a direct bash. :)

It is recommended that they are painted with masonry paint to counter the effects of long term UV (pink poly's anyone?) and I will probably go down this route (not pink).

Whats wrong with Pink? I will take a photo in an hour and show what colour i painted mine....

Actually pink blends in to the background quite well.

My worst pick was a blue, it totally glowed like a beacon at dusk... vibrated for your eyes attention so that got painted over a bit quick.

I prefer muted beige's, tans and greens.

Congrats on your purchase and from the damage I take it they are one piece units, which is another plus for in the flat types.

PH

:iagree:

The poly all in ones (hives and nucs) do seem to take more of a battering during transit whereas the flat packed ones (not same as PH's though) seem to hunker down nicely when jammed into a suitable receptacle and happily tolerate the attentions of airport baggage handlers with no significant damage.

Thanks all. The web pics don't do these justice. Early days for me but I hope that the bees will be similarly inspired. I was wondering however whether they have to use Airfix glue instead of propolis. I bet they get the wheels the wrong way around, just as I did in my youth.

medium.jpg

So whats wrong with pink? :eek:

great pictures finman - amazing to think that our teutonic european cousins keep their bees in luxurious palaces like those and their children locked up in cellars!

We shall call you Pinker, now :)

I kinda let my feminine side loose that day. If that’s not bad enough, I painted 2 that colour. Hope my bees appreciate it

Mr Payne im sorry!

Last edited:
I kinda let my feminine side loose that day. If that’s not bad enough, I painted 2 that colour. Hope my bees appreciate it

Mr Payne im sorry!

Do you keep amm apis melifica magenta by any chance? :rofl:
VM

It's not difficult bee suppliers - fragile equipment with just one outer protective skin of cardboard will not survive the rigours of transit, even with 'fragile' tape applied! :mad:

I remember talking to a shipping firm once about the merits of putting "Fragile" tape on boxes. They said not to bother "as the folk in the Depot can't read English".

Latest posts

Back