Press for Heather Honey/Cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is a while ago, but I've the possibility of upgrading my 20-frame Abelo radial to a slightly larger swing-cage one - sick to death of my SS heather/fruit press, even though it was cheap and reliable - would you recommend a hydropress in addition to a swing-cage extractor or would the swing cage largely negate the need for supers and supers of heather, which is my main crop? Cheers, R
We have just moved over to a hydropress only for heather and scrape back frames to plastic foundation. Works brilliantly and negates the requirement for any sort of loosening/swing cage extractor

I wouldnt upgrade from a 20 frame and buy the VIGO hydro press. Its effortless and filters the heather honey at the same time. Not even that expensive in the grand scheme of honey extraction equipment

I know this is a while ago, but I've the possibility of upgrading my 20-frame Abelo radial to a slightly larger swing-cage one - sick to death of my SS heather/fruit press, even though it was cheap and reliable - would you recommend a hydropress in addition to a swing-cage extractor or would the swing cage largely negate the need for supers and supers of heather, which is my main crop? Cheers, R
Recommend a Hydropress. Swing cage useful if you have the means of agitating honey in frames first eg for heather blend.
I’ve moved to Hydropress for pressing out pure heather honey - I bought a Vigo for our association. The Apiarist, David Evans reviews it in his weekly blog this week - worth reading

We have just moved over to a hydropress only for heather and scrape back frames to plastic foundation. Works brilliantly and negates the requirement for any sort of loosening/swing cage extractor

I wouldnt upgrade from a 20 frame and buy the VIGO hydro press. Its effortless and filters the heather honey at the same time. Not even that expensive in the grand scheme of honey extraction equipment

You WOULN'T upgrade from the 20 frame and buy the VIGO Press? Meaning you'd not bother with the swing-extractor upgrade and just go for the hydropress? Cheers. I do hate wasting drawn super comb though :-/

Latest posts

Back