Soft set heather honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I extracted about 10kg of predominantly heather honey back in early September. I used a fruit press, followed by the usual stainless mesh filters. I noticed last week that the 10 jars I had left were starting to go cloudy in the cool place where they were kept, so I moved them into the airing cupboard at what I would guess is about 30 degrees. Within days, instead of clearing, they had crystallised completely. Not what I was expecting. I am just wondering now, since this is the first time I have had to handle heather honey, if it will respond to the soft-set treatment?

Heather honey is naturally cloudy and you cannot see through it. Should be thick viscous and lots of trapped air bubbles. Like in the picture below.
Heat at 60C for an hour will get it back in solution, fine if it's for your own consumption.

Jar_Heather.jpg

I was hoping to sell a few jars but its certainly not saleable with crystals in it.

Actually it is.....I am often asked for crunchy heather honey....So I always let a few jars set for those customers. The crystal size is enormous in heather honey.

Actually it is.....I am often asked for crunchy heather honey....So I always let a few jars set for those customers. The crystal size is enormous in heather honey.

That’s useful to know.
I have 20 half pound jars that have crystallised.
I was wondering what to do with it.

Latest posts

Back