Present ideas for new beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
HI

My wife has just finished one Beekeeping course and about to start a second and is determined to start beekeeping soon and as her birthday is rapidly approaching and I know nothing about bees - besides that it's a lot more complicated than I ever imagined - I'm after advice on something to buy as a birthday present that she'll need once start bee keeping. A book, some equipment or clothing, magazine subscription all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Get her one of Thornes Bees on a Budget Hives - you'll enjoy assembling it!

R2

How about some Bees :D

bee-ey present for (ex) wife

"A book"

i know the OH and I are misery guts scrooges who don't do cards or presents for any occasion but surely "a book" = soon to be ex-wife.

some honey labels with her name on it will give her something to look forword to ,as well as the jars you've looked after the bees brougth them along and they have rewarded your young lady with several jars or skicky nector juice

Welcome to the forum, crisis :)
I started off with Ted Hooper's "Guide to Bees and Honey" and Paul Metcalfe's DVD, depends how much you want to spend?
A beehive would be a good start :D
A beekeeping hat/veil is basic protective wear, and I think it's fair to say most newbees wear a lot more protective gear than that!

If you have a look at some of the beekeeping websites you will get an idea of what will be useful, and prices; some also do a "beeginners' kit".

I would think a nice shiny stainless steel smoker- unless she's like me and enjoys choosing everything herself.

Best for beginners to have a shiny magazine drop through the door each month with pertinent information relating to the calendar and facts surrounding bees without swamping her.

So a subscription to:

http://www.bee-craft.com/

would make her very happy I would think.

PS get her a calendar too - they're only 50p + p&p now - bargain!

or just donate to the forum on her behalf!!!! she'll probably be using it one hell of a lot.

perhaps admin could knock up a gift certificate.

"I've adopted Finman for 2012/13 season"

HI

My wife has just finished one Beekeeping course and about to start a second and is determined to start beekeeping soon and as her birthday is rapidly approaching and I know nothing about bees - besides that it's a lot more complicated than I ever imagined - I'm after advice on something to buy as a birthday present that she'll need once start bee keeping. A book, some equipment or clothing, magazine subscription all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Smoker £25-£40
Hive tool £8-10
Beekeeping gloves(rubber) from National Beekeeping supplies £10 ish

A polystyrene nucleus from P.a.y.n.e.s in their sale £30
if will use large 14x12 add £7 for extension (14x12 eke)
Flat pack square national hive from Caddon hives £108+9 PP
Cottage style WBC hive from Caddon £176+9 pp
(again if use large 14x12 add for a Maisemore eke £20 ish ands extra lift as well for WBC)

Last edited:
I would not buy her a hive, it might be the wrong one. There are 5 or 6 different options. Can't go wrong with a good stainless steel smoker IMO.

buy her a birthday card and put £500 in it this should get her started.

Hi All

thanks for the responses - I had a quick check and she's already got the Ted Hooper book so may get her the magazine subscription and DVD (will get a digital camera as well). Didn't want to buy a hive in case she decides she likes a different type.

Will let you know how it goes down.

Thanks

Chris

re the mag subs - if she intends to join local association she'll get the subs as part of that. perhaps local membership as the gift?

re the mag subs - if she intends to join local association she'll get the subs as part of that. perhaps local membership as the gift?

Good point...it is at a reduced rate through local BKA subs...although I have been wondering whether those who seem to regularly promote Beecraft should state any financial interests where appropriate? [certain BKAs being shareholders and all that....]

I like the £500 in a card idea though tbh perhaps £500 on the credit/debit card would be more flexible :D

Latest posts

Back