Preparing for Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markm2284

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I have a question regarding preparing for winter. I have 2 colonies one which was a swarm a couple of months ago and another an existing colony in a national hive. The existing colony lost their queen a couple of months ago but have now sorted themselves out. There are no supers on at present and the brood box is full of their own stores with very limited space for egg laying or even further stores. Do I still put a feed on to get them through winter eventhough their space is limited?? what will they do with the feed if nowhere to store it?? Any help will be appreciated. Also when should I add mouse guards and wire around the hive? thanks again

Put a super on, then the bees can put food in their larder for winter. If you are using fresh foundation for the supers, then you may think about giving them some suger syrup which they could use to build up comb.

Removing the queen excluder may encourage the bees to move up into the super and start building up comb. Remember that the queen needs room to lay brood that will be there over winter. Bees that are flying now will probably be getting old now and will die off (worked to death).

I hope this helps, and that someone else will post a reply for you.

Hi markm2284

As with most things in beekeeping, you have choices. You just need to think this through and find the best solution for your bees.

You could add a super and feed, personally I think it is too late to expect much foundation drawing but that's just me. Better make it a drawn super.

You could overwinter on single brood. I generally do this and it works fine for me.

I think the first thing to do is work out how much your brood chamber currently weighs and then you will have more idea whether to feed or not.

Mouseguards can wait as yet, I pop mine on early October.

Cazza

Back