Positioning of superseded cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swarm season twice a week now I don't worry about it once a week max. If I see anything I'll inspect again and again until I'm satisfied 2 days apart. Now some hives I'd be happy to inspect a few weeks apart. Some are super strong and could swarm even now so once a week. I inspect hives based on strength time of year and tendancy. Set time tables don't work for me because I'm expanding a relative novice and don't want to lose bees. If in doubt look
That's a dedicated beekeeper for you, I will look in at most three day intervals, some would think we would be messing to much imo idts!

Do you mean you split her off into a nuc as the colony builds ...so more than once a season or just the once as part of swarm control.
I had a queen in her fourth season ....that's the best I've ever done.
In her fifth season is pretty good...brill
I'll split her off as she's old and expect to lose her. Much better to split her off and have the strong hive. I'll unite the bulk with a first year queen. The old queen will have a poly nuc. I'd expect to split a strong colony at least three times a year if expanding. If I want honey I'd build it until September then devide it into weak late splits

One possible SS at the moment (or was as of last week 11th), old marked Pink Q present and emerged VQ on 5th or 6th though not seen ( QC has hinged lid/cap). QC was on face comb to one side and approx. 2/3's down the comb.

Wow you did say you had bucks, I'm trying to select my blacks I will have bucks going into there 3rd year and more blacks going into there third year next year.
Interesting though some of my blacks that were in one location built up steady and didn't produce any signs of swarming, maybe good forage has alot to do with it?
Epanding bees need frames laying queens need frames. Let your queen lay lay and lay until the first flow then you have to deicide split or expand and make honey producer's. Honey producer's. Stop the queen a week before flow no more room but supers. Flow over let her lay under control feeding.another flow week before stop her keep her to the brood boxes. Then again. If your splitting that's a different strategy. No feed will get in the honey if you watch your hives. Feed what they need don't let them store it. In a derth all they will do is eat honey anyway so take it and feed them before they can. Strait honey will reduce her laying one one syrup will increase it

Last edited:
I'll split her off as she's old and expect to lose her. Much better to split her off and have the strong hive. I'll unite the bulk with a first year queen. The old queen will have a poly nuc. I'd expect to split a strong colony at least three times a year if expanding. If I want honey I'd build it until September then devide it into weak late splits
Epanding bees need frames laying queens need frames. Let your queen lay lay and lay until the first flow then you have to deicide split or expand and make honey producer's. Honey producer's. Stop the queen a week before flow no more room but supers. Flow over let her lay under control feeding.another flow week before stop her keep her to the brood boxes. Then again. If your splitting that's a different strategy. No feed will get in the honey if you watch your hives. Feed what they need don't let them store it
Phew
Too much work for me
I’ll split a queen off and bleed brood if the nuc gets too big.

Phew
Too much work for me
I’ll split a queen off and bleed brood if the nuc gets too big.
Not really it sounds it but it's a few checks and a few litres of feed inbetween flows. Just keep her laying full capacity. Throw them some empty frames in too from time to time and donate them to splits to get them to use the syrup. Sounds complicated it really isn't.

Not really it sounds it but it's a few checks and a few litres of feed inbetween flows. Just keep her laying full capacity. Throw them some empty frames in too from time to time and donate them to splits to get them to use the syrup. Sounds complicated it really isn't.
Sounds simple enough to me ;)

Epanding bees need frames laying queens need frames. Let your queen lay lay and lay until the first flow then you have to deicide split or expand and make honey producer's. Honey producer's. Stop the queen a week before flow no more room but supers. Flow over let her lay under control feeding.another flow week before stop her keep her to the brood boxes. Then again. If your splitting that's a different strategy. No feed will get in the honey if you watch your hives. Feed what they need don't let them store it. In a derth all they will do is eat honey anyway so take it and feed them before they can. Strait honey will reduce her laying one one syrup will increase it

Where do you live? How long is your flow season? I live on 60 degree latitude.

An expanding colony needs not frames but more boxes. When flow begins, hive more boxes. Join the small colonies that the foraging unit is big enough to store the nectar from fields.

Too expencive nucs if you split the colony before flow season. Such splits cannot bring honey and pay back the care of a year around.

4 langstroth boxes is too small hive before main flow eason. When our flow stops at the end on July, no hope that it begins any more. In August hives rear wintering bees.

Not for me these frequent inspections. I'm not into stretching my bees that far...but It suits you and you have a four year old queen which is heartening.

Your hive is SS now ! Will they get mated at this time of year in time to look after the hive over winter?

Your hive is SS now ! Will they get mated at this time of year in time to look after the hive over winter?
VQ's will still get mated during September given nice weather, some beeks don't realise they have a different Q in residence until they look in spring.
Also not unknown for both mother and daughter to remain within a colony for several months, the bees with SS can keep the old Q as insurance. Handy if the new one doesn't mate well or turns Drone layer.

Last edited:
Following what happened to the colonys, observations, behaviour, inspecting every 2/3 days.
Old Queens present throughout
I've seen three cells one with my old girl which I posted on that thread and another 2 year old had three cells.
The old girl was eventually moved to a nuc and is being replaced.
Both had virgins and old queen's in the same hives.

If I saw more say 4 I would be wondering but then it would be a case of observing what the colony was doing space, stores, laying ability, cell type as superseded cells are selected

Latest posts

Back