Positioning a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Ok so I have a top bar hive pretty much finished and some old beeswax to coat the top bars now where to position my hive I have 1/2 an acre but it does get used a good bit so couple of questions how close can I have the hive to where people move around and which direction should I face the entrance

I like the entrance facing SE to get the early sun. I would make sure you can always put a barrier between your bees and where people approach the bees! If they are having a bad hair day they will see you coming! People walking past is not too bad but approaching in a line seems to attract guard bees. I have an acre and on a bad bee day that is not enough! Try and get them flying to nectar sources above head height! I shall watch with interest when you return looki g for an out apiary👍

I can put them so the entrance is facing over the fence it's on a slope so the will have a clear line of sight also no one much around me only horses in other fields so it shouldn't affect others much

I can put them so the entrance is facing over the fence it's on a slope so the will have a clear line of sight also no one much around me only horses in other fields so it shouldn't affect others much
It's the flight lines to a nectar source that tend to cause problems! But a a clear line of site out of the hive is a good thing.

I wouldn’t worry about facing the hive in any particular direction. I’d always try to get them into an area that is not in normal use. A barrier or screen to force bees to take a higher flight path and avoid bumping into people is a good thing. Directing the entrance into a hedge or screen will do no harm with a sensible distance to walk around whilst inspecting. I always prefer a sunny spot but will take what’s available. Ian

Latest posts

Back