Position of hives on stands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good morning all
Just a question if you have 2 hives on a stand that accommodate's them, would you have the entrances facing outwards in the same direction .Or do they need to be angled away from each other ?
Cheers John

Good morning all
Just a question if you have 2 hives on a stand that accommodate's them, would you have the entrances facing outwards in the same direction .Or do they need to be angled away from each other ?
Cheers John
They can face the same way, but bees aren't as good at finding /drifting to entrances that are at different heights to one another, so to help avoid drift between colonies, consider one entrance higher than the other,

I'm like Jenkins, and have them lined up sort of the same, but we probably shouldn't. It would be easy enough to do change them a bit with entrances facing different ways and at different heights, particularly for me as mine they are on pallets generally.

https://afb.org.nz/drift/

Thank you for articles Antipodes,will have a puruse through after getting back from the Apiary owned by my local beekeeping group .Hopefully the weather will be good enough to do inspections, they have 15 hives so if we do manage to get inside i will be able to garner some much needed knowledge .
Cheers John

Latest posts

Back