Polytunnel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try and fit the plastic on a warm day as it shrinks when it cools and goes nice and tight.

Darren

Just ordered my first poly tunnel. 12 feet x 30. Any top tips?

Have you read Chas Griffin's "Scenes from a Smallholding" - includes to how to put up a polytunnel, amongst a host of other things, and will give you a few laughs as well :)

When I replace the cover on my polytunnel I'm going to make the ends slope slightly instead of being vertical. Not a huge amount. Perhaps just a couple of feet. Doing so should help to keep the doors open or closed, make a bit more room inside and hopefully make it a bit more resistant to strong winds.

James

I've had a huge crop of tomatoes, peppers and chiles from the polytunnel this year. The cucmbers did ok, too, as did a couple of self-seeded courgettes that I decided not to bother weeding out...

For the winter I usually put in hardy salad crops -- winter density lettuce, pak choi, winter-hardy spring onions. I wouldn't mind some other ideas though.

James

I've had a huge crop of tomatoes, peppers and chiles from the polytunnel this year. The cucmbers did ok, too, as did a couple of self-seeded courgettes that I decided not to bother weeding out...

For the winter I usually put in hardy salad crops -- winter density lettuce, pak choi, winter-hardy spring onions. I wouldn't mind some other ideas though.

James

put some peas in, i got some in late august and they have pods on now i'm goin to put some more in this month for an early crop next year

Give yourself a day to do it and pressgang a helper or two. If you finish early go down the pub.

put some peas in, i got some in late august and they have pods on now i'm goin to put some more in this month for an early crop next year

That must be worth a go. I usually plant a very early crop of mangetout in the polytunnel, but I'd not though of peas planted the previous year. Planted the same year they're rarely ready before I want the space for other crops.

James

Latest posts

Back