Polynuc colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyatcwfarm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 colonies(national) 1 nuc
I have 4 colonies from swarms a few weeks ago in 6 frame polynuc s with brood extensions
All queens are laying and expanding well
Choice I have is to super up the nucs and run the colonies on or transfer into full national hives
Aside from the inspection ease of the full size hive is there any advantage to transferring now
I have plenty of kit to go either way
Thanks

Bees here build up more quickly in a vertical arrangement i.e. two polynucs one on top of the other. These also overwinter better. You mentioned that yours were hived swarms, be aware that a swarm queen is often near the end of her life, requeening with a queen of known provenance may be worthwhile.

Not if the swarm was cast and not a prime, it would of been a virgin queen either just mated or waiting to mate.

I have 4 colonies from swarms a few weeks ago in 6 frame polynuc s with brood extensions
All queens are laying and expanding well
Choice I have is to super up the nucs and run the colonies on or transfer into full national hives
Aside from the inspection ease of the full size hive is there any advantage to transferring now
I have plenty of kit to go either way
Thanks

Depends what your plan is?
I like to overwinter the same number of double nucs as main colonies and use them in spring as brood donors or requeeners to the main hive, then around June split them into single nucs once I've reared some queens and add a mated queen to the Q- nuc and sell the other. Then build up that single nuc with a new queen into a double nuc to overwinter.
itouch 798.jpg

Not if the swarm was cast and not a prime, it would of been a virgin queen either just mated or waiting to mate.

Thank you for taking the time to clear that up for me.I find this beekeeping to be really quite confusing, perhaps one day I will get a handle on it ;). One more thing, if I may trespass further on your kind nature; you referred to a queen waiting to mate... now what if it was a queen waiting to die as referred to in my previous post, what then?
Have a good day and enjoy your beekeeping.

The bees could supersed her, but then sometimes they don't and get it wrong and in Feb march you get drone layer I have found.

Latest posts

Back