poly nuc feeder ideas for DIY version?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
Not sure if anybody has any ideas, but has anybody made their own version of a feeder for a poly nuc? No problem with topping up feeder on main hives in bad weather as ashforth (? is this what it is called, can't recall) type covers hive, but my green poly nucs have an internal side feeder so I have to open it up to feed them, and I can end up with very unhappy bees, or worse still, squashed bees

Thanks

Sally

I use a sheet of plastic under the roofs of some of my MB nucs. Drawing pinned to the divider allows inspection of either half. Could this be a way forward with your nucs?

RAB

Here we dump syrup right into the nuc. Maybe ours are different, but the bottom will hold about a half gallon before it pours out the entrance. Then the bees just suck it off of the floor.

Sounds like a good idea...but unfortunately wouldn't quite work for me as I have an open mesh floor. I suppose this begs the question 'are open mesh floors in nucs OK for over-wintering the bees in', which I hadn't questioned before

Sally

Both colonies in my MB jumbo nucs (modded for National spec frames) went through last winter with no attention whatsoever. No extra feed.

I stood one on a National stand and the other was 'propped' over an old floor. Not particularly draughty, in fact sheltered.

I have never been keen on deeps with OMFs but the jumbos are fine. It was one consideration when I changed to 14 x 12 and OMFs. Others seem to find them OK for full sized timber hives, so should be OK for poly nucs in most instances.

RAB

Not sure if anybody has any ideas, but has anybody made their own version of a feeder for a poly nuc? No problem with topping up feeder on main hives in bad weather as ashforth (? is this what it is called, can't recall) type covers hive, but my green poly nucs have an internal side feeder so I have to open it up to feed them, and I can end up with very unhappy bees, or worse still, squashed bees

Thanks

Sally

if this is moulded in one why not drill a filler and overflow holes.fit bungs of plastic or wood. Fill via plastic pipe and funnel, syringe etc.. until syrup appears at overflow.

If the nuc is small, take couple of capped frames from big hives.
For example, give capped frames on boath sides and let the nuc work 2-3 inner frames.

Last edited:
Having used frame feeders for many years I think the OP is being a little over anxious.

If your nuc has an internal feeder use it and save the cost of buying one.

As for crushing bees, something to be avoided as much as possible but something I don't spend hours worrying about either.

PH

Thanks everyone...some very good ideas. And yes PH I possibly am being over-cautious, but the sound is awful, and it really does go through me

Much appreciated

Sally

What has occurred to me, as I have the same poly hive, is how do I remove excess syrup once they stop taking it? With my normal hives I just remove the feeder, these hive however present a bit of a problem...ever tried tipping a hive full of bees over on its side?

Orpheus64, I bought a 60ml syringe and attached a foot or so or aquarium air line to it although any flexible hose will do.

If I just want to hoover up the last few ml, I draw the syringe a couple of times, I have more to empty, I prime the hose by drawing on the syringe, then pinch the hose, remove the syringe, put the end of the hose in a plastic drinks bottle and Bob est mon oncle.

Takes three hands really, but I can now manage with just the two.

Ahh! Thanks, that might work...I'll give that a bash and see how I get on. I'll get Mrs Orpheus64 to supply the extra hand. A Bientot.

Which is another good reason for not having a built in feeder... or make sure you use Hivemakers non fermenting syrup recipe.

PH

I just put the bees into a new clean nuc of similar design and then 'pour out'. Allows me to keep nuc clean and on top of the situation but requires a spare nuc.

I was going to say... you don't want to be adding sugar to already fermenting syrup...

I was going to say... you don't want to be adding sugar to already fermenting syrup...

I would reply ... you don't want fermenting sugar at all.

Common sense to protect against fermentation. So simple, too. Then no problem with adding sugar. KISS principle.

What has occurred to me, as I have the same poly hive, is how do I remove excess syrup once they stop taking it?

Simples!

A hole in the outside of the poly nuc on the side to fill the nuc (funnel and sort bit of pipe to get the angle). Bung in to seal

And hole in bottom side wall to drain.

No need to remove lid...simples.

...ever tried tipping a hive full of bees over on its side?

I did that yesterday with one of these Paynes nucs. The (dry) feeder unit had some dead bees in it so I tipped it right over and brushed them out using a stick and a crumpled paper towel. The frames and the bees stayed in place. In went thymolated thick syrup. Should be fine.

G.

Latest posts

Back