Poly Hive - which to buy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which poly hive supplier should I buy from?

• Paynes

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Modern Beekeeping

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Bee Hive Supplies

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wilderness

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
I would like to try a poly hive this season. It has to be National or 14 x 12 and compatible with my wooden supers. So far I've found 3 suppliers Paynes, Modern Beekeeping and Beehive Supplies.

I've trawled through numerous posts on here and still can't decide. :banghead:

Which one would you buy from and why?

I fear this has been discussed to death here. My advice is not to worry about compatability (but others will disagree!) because once you go for poly you will want to convert to them completely - at which point you might as well sell your wooden stuff.

However, all the hives you mention are compatable to varying degrees. Some are fine for uniting colonies (poly/wood) or for Bailly frame changes but not really suitable for long term mixing of wood and poly supers/bb. Others claim to be fully compatable but as already mentioned - why bother?

For me durability is the key issue.

(I haven't voted if anyone asks!)

Rooftops,
Yes I know it has been done to death over a number of years and dozens of posts. I was hoping to bring together a summary - some hope :rolleyes:

Im pleased with the ones I bought from Paynes but as I they have not been used with bees its too early to recommend.
I have also not voted

Although I'm a dedicated MB'er (mainly LS/Jumbos but trialing a national set-up) in your circumstances i"d have to suggest taking a serious look at the Paynes offering. Best compatability with your wooden gear and a "proper" 14x12 solution available. Currently well priced (especially as you need no supers). Maybe invest in a first poly super for each to encourage heading up but otherwise use your wood gear for harvest (and A/Sing).

DOI: have used the Paynes type nucs this season and am awaiting a 14x12 to trial (along with a pallet load of nucs).

Last edited:
Can't vote on this, have poly nucs by Paynes and MBS, as well as poly 'BS' by the same two companies (and LS medium by MBS). Really depends on what you want..all good.

Pete - have you been formally contracted to take your namesake's corner whilst he's sunning himself?

he would swear by Lyson atm :) but has to try them next year!

Swienty are available from Wynne Jones aren't they? Another for your list, wilderness?

Also possibly Abelo, although their Nationals are a bit iffy on the bee space front.

James

I have bought from MB. For 14 x 12 one has to use two supers as a 14 x 12 brood. I screwed them together. Not ideal and who knows whether they will extend their range to that version of the National format. I would hope they will, as I suspect it will do the job with ease.

Not enough detail to give a good recommendation, but you need to consider compatibility with your other kit if you intend to retain some or all.

There are issues with all the suppliers. MB is one of kit needing to be modified and that 'lip' may prove a downside; Paines of unproven, as yet, durability/robustness; BHS of no data; Lison of incompetence; Sweinty of cost and possible quality control.

Your poll is slightly flawed in that you may get biased replies from those who have not really considered the alternatives. In other words, the blind leading the blind!!

Paines appears to be less robust than the MB construction, BHS and the Paines will not accept National roofs, an issue should you wish to use that 'total compatibility claim' by them but overwinter on a totally poly unit from brood box up, in that you need to retain both roofs to use timber shallows as supers.

Bee space is also an issue, but not one that cannot be overcome. It does need consideration, all the same. Unframed slotted steel and plastic Q/Es are not much good on TBS, IMO.

Even though my MB nucs required modding (for the extra deep National frames) they are proving very robust - I can jump up and down on the units as the roofs are more than adequate to take my 800N force.

There are, of course A-belo (Lysson manufacture) where they are now trying to sell off hideously out-of-spec hives (presumably the moulds are being corrected but they may not be easily sorted and who knows whether their 'sold out' claim is really the truth - I very much doubt it is!!)

Sweinty - ahh yes, even heard reports of chewed hives, so they don't seem to be bullet-proof either. Depends on whether they are competitively priced, if that is a consideration.

Does that help? It does show that I have considered the whole range. It might even be better to change to Langstroth format. I'm not, but ... there are a lot of them out there ... possibly more choice and certainly more experience of them.

RAB

My Swienty nucs are some years old ...
I got them 2nd hand and there s a LOT of knawing around the entrances......
I do nt understand why they have nt got harder plastic around the entrances it would seem a simple enough modification.
They are also a nightmare to sterilise......as they are 2 part....roof and broodbody only..
Also there appears to be at least 2" bee space above the frames.... where the previous occupants have built comb...!
I intend to make some inner rooves to prevent this.
MB nucs are a devil to paint but once done their 3 part design I like ....
I have needed to use dummy boards in both designs to prevent the end comb getting overdrawn,,,,

There are, of course A-belo (Lysson manufacture) where they are now trying to sell off hideously out-of-spec hives (presumably the moulds are being corrected but they may not be easily sorted and who knows whether their 'sold out' claim is really the truth - I very much doubt it is!!)

The problem (that I'm aware of) with these ones is that there's too much space between the frame sides and the walls, and between boxes. They show them as out of stock on their website, but they're selling them on the bay for £65 each and are quite up-front about the problem. The look fairly robust, too.

Every so often they knock one out in a genuine auction and they seem to go for high £20s to low £30s.

James

I have a MB Jumbo Langstroth nuc converted to 14x12 (thanks RAB), its top quality and I'm very pleased with it. Also have a Paynes 14x12 awaiting its entry into the field - a good design and while I'm not convinced its as robust as the MB, I have no reason to doubt it will last many years.

Sweinty have a proven track record in the poly field, but check on bee space, and no 14x12 option.

Dont know anyone whos seen a Beehive Supplies to comment.

Personally my lack of DIY skills means I'm not wild about the idea of screwing boxes together, so if deciding on a 14x12 I'd go for Paynes. If going for a standard deep national, then MB's quality can't be faulted, with the proviso that some (not me) have an issue with the lip.

What are the bee space issues with Swienty,what needs to be checked.

Only that I personally don't know if they are top or bottom bee space - ITLD mentioned in a recent thread on feeders that those supplied by Wynne Jones, via Swienty (though not their own manufacture), were designed for top bee space.

The number of polyhives around is beginning to rattle the bee inspectors...or certainly our acting RBI who told members of four local BKAs last evening that there still isn't a field treatment procedure for an AFB outbreak involving a polyhive. Pint of petrol and polystyrene, erm, no thanks.

Pint of petrol and polystyrene, erm, no thanks.

In my view the bee inspectors need to get themselves up to date.

AFB is a very rare occurence and exceptional measures would be warranted where it is found.

When Foot and Mouth is discovered the same Ministry digs a large hole in the ground and fills it with old railway sleepers and car tyres and then the carcasses of the dead cattle. They then set light to it and stand back. The black clouds can be seen for miles.

The point I am making is that with Foot and Mouth the Ministry can do something which the farmer cannot do - make a great pyre and pollute the atmosphere.

I see no reason why poly hives with AFB could not be treated the same way. You are not allowed to burn plastic in the open but as mentioned above nor are you supposed to burn dead animals - but that is allowed where the disease risk is great enough.

Before anyone mentions the fumes coming off burning plastic I suspect they are not any worse than those coming off burning animal carcasses - and of course even burning wood releases dioxin.

Only that I personally don't know if they are top or bottom bee space - ITLD mentioned in a recent thread on feeders that those supplied by Wynne Jones, via Swienty (though not their own manufacture), were designed for top bee space.

Just had confirmation from Wynne Jones that their poly hives are bottom bee space, apologies for any confusion.

Back