Poly Hive Repair

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
Can anyone here shine a light on what they use to repair dents and dings in their 'Poly Hives'. I know Paynes sell a filler, but I wonder what type of filler it is?

Repairing poly hives

You need PU glue (polyurethane glue)

Put first a water must on surfaces. PU hardens with water.

I use old pieces of polyhive when I fill the hole.
PU glue makes a little bit foam and it fills the small gaps
PU Bison tube glue is good, if you have much to repair. It makes hard glass like repairing.

But there are small PU bottles too.

Repairing poly hives

You need PU glue (polyurethane glue)

Put first a water must on surfaces. PU hardens with water.

I use old pieces of polyhive when I fill the hole.
PU glue makes a little bit foam and it fills the small gaps
PU Bison tube glue is good, if you have much to repair. It makes hard glass like repairing.

But there are small PU bottles too.

I have a free source of PU glue - so thanks for the advice

Hi glad you posted this as I have Poly Hives too & it is handy to now how to repair, I am from South Wales to, RCT Pontypridd, where are you based??

Well my Buckies have destroyed a Paynes box over winter. They have chewed channels under the lugs and seriously rounded all the edges meeting the floor. It's past saving. The Swienty is fine.

Well my Buckies have destroyed a Paynes box over winter. They have chewed channels under the lugs and seriously rounded all the edges meeting the floor. It's past saving. The Swienty is fine.

Seems I'm not alone in finding that then, I did mention they chewed paynes boxes before but nobody believed it. Sounds like your bees are worse than mine, though. Definitely a different density to the swienty's, didn't you pick up another one at Llanelwedd?

Seems I'm not alone in finding that then, I did mention they chewed paynes boxes before but nobody believed it. Sounds like your bees are worse than mine, though. Definitely a different density to the swienty's, didn't you pick up another one at Llanelwedd?

I did. That's six poly boxes and four wood the wood are my spares ;)

Perhaps I should paint the inside of the 'Paynes Poly' then, although they have not destroyed the 3 we overwintered.

I guess I'll just have to blame HMs bees
I wouldn't paint the inside. Pargyle anoints his with his propolis mix which sounds good. I did my bait hives with it.

Been saying for years now there is poly and poly. ;)

I use car body repair compound for some repairs and glue and screw for broken lugs which I have suffered I think twice and both times my fault but the repair works well. Glue? External quality wood glue.

PH

Glue? External quality wood glue.

PH
IT does not glue plastic.

Use PU -glue. = Polyurethane. A small water mist on surface and it hardens the glue in 15 min.

Skin moisture hardens it too, but skin grows and drops the glue off in a week.
Jelly like Bison PU glue is good. IT does not drill out of holes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back