Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not picking on any country in particular. Just adding a possible explanation to the chlorinated chicken debate. I eat little chicken but what I do is sourced free range and locally. I am lucky to be able to afford to do so.

"Leaked emails show top Treasury official said farming and fisheries 'not important' to UK’s future" .......
I'm lost for words.

Really!

You are prepared to trust them?

Pollen..
At our place on university they did some research with irradiation of pollen and for some smaller fee some beeks sent their pollen and got sterilized back.
Maybe at some of yours universities can find some which do such?

Off topic: Chicken and eggs from shops doesn't have smell nor taste as normal chicken and eggs.. A lot of our people who run away from here to Germany when come for a visit bring a lot of it back to Germany.. One of my relative said their meat in shops can't be eaten.. She turned to veggies..

Pollen..
At our place on university they did some research with irradiation of pollen and for some smaller fee some beeks sent their pollen and got sterilized back.
Maybe at some of yours universities can find some which do such?

Off topic: Chicken and eggs from shops doesn't have smell nor taste as normal chicken and eggs.. A lot of our people who run away from here to Germany when come for a visit bring a lot of it back to Germany.. One of my relative said their meat in shops can't be eaten.. She turned to veggies..

Very true, Goran. I'm old enough to remember what chicken should taste like and there was a distinct difference between chicken and turkey. Nowadays, neither has much taste .. unless you pay for it and buy free range organic.

Very true, Goran. I'm old enough to remember what chicken should taste like and there was a distinct difference between chicken and turkey. Nowadays, neither has much taste .. unless you pay for it and buy free range organic.

Still :ot:

The average meat bird in the UK is lucky to reach 6 weeks of age, hence no flavour or texture. Our end of lay 'free range' layers used to go into chicken pies, soups etc. but then the big retailers started buying South American chicken, on cost grounds for the purpose, and for a while we had to pay to dispose of our birds. We were lucky that when the market improved a bit and because we were sending 4000+ birds at a time we got 20p a bird, it cost us more per bird to pay the catchers for the exercise of clearing a house.

Our LBJ's (Little Brown Jobs) were / are bred to lay eggs. If the bird is using feed to grow a bigger body then it costs more to keep, we reckoned on 135gm of food a bird/day to remain profitable and have healthy birds, dead birds don't lay very well. Most weeks we had 9 tonnes of feed for 10,000 hens, in the early 2000's that cost approx.£1400 per week, and back then we got about 33% of the retail price of eggs, it's a lot less now.

I tried growing on some Indian Game x chooks several years ago..i waited for them to reach a good weight and dispatched them..the meat was like rubber and very bland..i put it down to them being free range and getting too much exercise..

Terry Wogan's favourite joke-
In a Chinese restaurant:
"Waiter, waiter this chicken is rubbery"
"Ah so, fankooverymuch"

I've seen taste and nutrition tests done on chooks raised in various methods and nobody could tell the difference.
Ive raised a fair few turkeys and chickens(free range) and honestly it's only the turkeys that were significantly different. The reason is the birds themselves, not the feed or management style. The turkeys I used were an older slower growing strain and it's simply the extra time that makes the difference. Modern strains reach the same weights in a fraction of the time and seem to taste of nothing much.

Back