Pollen Patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winker

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok so far we had had a real mild winter, more like a continuous autumn than a real winter. But that could all change in the next few weeks, only time will tell.

Last year Spring started around 4 weeks earlier than normal and many people were caught out with early swarms. This year my bees have been out most days (4 days out of 7) collecting pollen, so im guessing that my queens have not stopped laying this winter and a small amount of brood is being produced. If this weather keeps up I am guessing that spring will be with us a month early again.

It has been my intention to give my bees a head start for the rape coming into flower by feeding pollen patties mid to late February. But that is based on spring being here on time and not coming early. If spring is coming upon us a month early would it be best to start the pollen patty feeding at the end of January? Or do you think that as the bees have been out collecting pollen all winter, I may not need to put the patties in at all? I know the only sure way of knowing is to open the hives and have a good look at the pollen stores, but IMHO that’s not an option. Disturbing the bees at his time of year with an inspection may do more harm than good.

So what's everyone's thoughts. Pollen patties at the end of Feb or end of Jan, or not at all?

There is still plenty of time for it to get very cold for a prolonged period, if you feed pollen patties early then you will encourage more brood rearing. If it goes cold and the bees go back into tight cluster the brood will chill, at the moment check the hives are still well provided with stores and leave alone.

'If your rape will bloom in March, I doubt if your bees have weathers to forage honey yield. The sun shining angle stays however as same every year.

'If your rape will bloom in March, I doubt if your bees have weathers to forage honey yield. The sun shining angle stays however as same every year.

does the heat not dictate the flow not the hight of the sun?

does the heat not dictate the flow not the hight of the sun?

The angle of sun shining dictates the heat. How many radiation unit come to square metre.

Now these warm weathers depends on low pressures - at least here---
heat does not escape when it is clowdy.

Rape need about 20 C that it gives honey. It is too far from 10C

Solar%20Angle.jpg

image037.jpg

Last edited:
You missed the point old chap! I was pointing out that the weather here in the UK has been so warm in winter (in-between 8-12 C) that i expect it to be warm enough at the end of march for a rape flow.

I must have worded my original post wrong as everyone has by passed my post and posted in a latter thread almost identical but titled (will the season start early) In which Hivemaker has more or less covered the answer i was looking for.

Last edited:
You missed the point old chap! I was pointing out that the weather here in the UK has been so warm in winter (in-between 8-12

C) that i expect .

That is called lotto playing or good faith

You are a believer...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts[/ame]

Back