Pollen id?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatley

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Saw plenty of bees coming in with this pollen today, is it Bramble or Himalayan Balsam or something else? Anyone know? :confused:

Doesn't look like bramble to me (bramble is a bit more grey in colour)

Balsam would leave a distinctive, thick white strip on the thorax.

What else do you have in your area?

Good links, thanks. Could be field thistle or hazel(is hazel out yet?). Could well be sweetcorn, or maize. there is some in fields nearby. Anway, lots of them loaded and they are happy

Hi Gately,

It could be meadowsweet.

I think hazel is all over now.

Last edited:
I think its HB, i have some in my garden, I've noticed that bees comeback with the white stripe but as each flower begins to wane the bee's can still pick smaller amounts of pollen out of it... sort of getting the scraps out of the flower as it were

The only pollen I know by sight is bramble (vast sea of them behind my garden!) and as swarm said, its more of a dull white, plus all the bushes here have finished flowering now.

Gatley,

I have the same light yellow pollen coming in, in abundance. It's not Balsam nor Bramble as they are not yellow. I'd be very surprised if it is hazel as it is generally one of the early pollen sources in the year - ours are all in nut forming stage now.

Someone did suggest previously that it could be :dupe:ivy which would make sense in our neck of the woods as we are surrounded by it. I wish I could find out.

They're certainly more interested in this pollen source than the available acres of balsam within a one mile radius.

BL

Latest posts

Back