Pollen colour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dorothy Hodges shows Scabious as a bit pinker, what you show matches her dahlia record.

Sorry to be a bit dim who is "Dorothy Hodges"

No need to be embarrassed, not many people have got the book. I haven't, but I have seen a copy. [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pollen-Loads-Honeybee-Dorothy-Hodges/dp/0900149507"]Pollen Loads of the Honeybee: Amazon.co.uk: Dorothy Hodges: Books[/ame]

"The Pollen Loads of the honey bee" 1952
Classic reference book, although no doubt some on here will say pollen has changed colour since then.

Thanks.
1952 a good year! I was born then :hurray:but at £150 for a second hand copy I will pass

That's for the newer edition with copied plates.

I am lucky enough to have inherited my Father's original edition, which has hand painted plates and was a limited edition, signed by the author.

I believe it is quite valuable!

My idiots guide to pollen (a great help being a Newbee) comes up with Common Lime, and Field Scabious as the only dark orange red pollen

Lupin, Pelargonium,red dead nettle,great mullein,poplar leaf rust fungus, sparrow grass, treasure flower, ox eye daisy dahlia, marigold, yarrow, nasturtium
lime and Scabious - more of a duller dirty orange.

Sunflowers

I have mixed Sunflowers at the bottom of my garden. no matter what the colour of the petals they all seem to have yellow pollen. The huge scented Lillies in bloom at the moment have an orange pollen but I think it may be darker than the one coming in. However the blooms closest to me in my neighbours garden are going over and I have noticed it seems to darken with the age of the flower.
Lots of Himalayan Balsam now coming in to my smaller colony the other one just seems to have discovered it this evening.

Latest posts

Back