Please may I have some advice? Bee's Nest in Rotted wood.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesbaxter2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

First of all, Any advice received is greatly appreciated..

I had a rotting wooden fascia board which seems to have attracted some kind of bee's.

I removed the rotten wood and expected to find a nest, but couldn't see a nest or any bee's at all infact inside the space between my ceiling and roof..

I then replaced the rotten wood with new wood, but the bee's are still hovering around the site.

These bee's are most active in the afternoon, and between 5 and 15 seem to be constantly flying around close to the site. They also seem to fight each other? two fall to the floor at once together then fly off..

These are definity non aggressive bee's, they pay no attention to me.

Any advice on what type of bee's they are?
(I seem to be reading lots of conflicting information around the internet)

How long they will stay for?

And Will they go naturally?

Any advice, help will be appreciated.

Thanks James

could be Bombus hypnorum drones waiting for queens to emerge on mating flights, are you sure it is fighting and not mateing

I have just read a pdf on bumblebeeconservation about the Bombus hypnorum and I am convinced you are right so thank you.

The bee's look like these and the pictures are just what is happening.

They are mating not fighting like I thought..

Any advice about what I can do?

I must have a nest somewhere.. but I searched as far as I could see between the ceiling and roof and couldn't see anything un-usual?

:welcome:
I have a nest of those in a bird box above the back door.
They'll be gone in the autumn - is it possible you can just leave yours to die out of their own accord?

Latest posts

Back