Plastic ends convert to Hoffman space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatio

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hello, I have bought a Nuc and it has plastic ends. I've ordered some Hoffman converters. Do the plastic ends slid of easily before fitting the Hoffman converters or are they likely to be stuck and the whole thing take a long time?

Probably stuck but easy enough to prise off.
Beware though. I’m sure plastic ends give slightly wider spaces between the frames than Hoffman side bars and you’re in danger of squashing bees?
I might be wrong though.

Probably stuck but easy enough to prise off.
Beware though. I’m sure plastic ends give slightly wider spaces between the frames than Hoffman side bars and you’re in danger of squashing bees?
I might be wrong though.

Here you are. Plastic ends give you 38mm Hoffman side bars 35. Nit enough to make a difference except on the stores arc which tends to be deeper drawn.

Thanks. I'll have a look to see if I can see any difference. There seems to be a lot of spare space in the brood box (WBC). Six on these plastic ends and four Hoffman foundation (two either side) and a dummy board.

I've never used plastic ends. How do the fit on - do they just slip onto the lugs? I can't tell from looking at the stockists' websites. I will try removing them from a frame with just stores first, perhaps with a hive tool. Not keen on the hot water idea, as my hands could be a lot more nimble than they are, which is why I want t remove these ends as it's harder for me to lift out the frame. Have to wait for the converters to arrive first anyway.

Hoffman ends are slipped over the top bars if you got them from c Wynne Jones while everybody else’s clip on the side bar at the top.

I use plastic ends on all my frames. It doesn't matter what type of frame you get then. They just slide on and off but the bees will stick them on so sometimes they need a tap to remove them!
E

Latest posts

Back